Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN SETTLEMETN FOR NON EEA SPOUSE/DEPENDENTS OF EEA NATIONAL

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by Nital, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Nital

Nital New Member

A Portguese national male excercising treaty rights came to UK IN 1999. In 2001 his non EEA dependents joined him and were granted visas alongside his stay which was until Feb 2004. In Feb 2004 the man granted Indefinite Leave to Remain(Settlement) . His wifes and children's visa obviously ran out at that time in Feb 2004 and they all applied for settlement using form EEC2.

Was this the correct procedure/form? As the man was now settled surely his family would apply as his dependants under normal rules (as dependents of a settled person ) rather than under EC rules?. The wife an children were refused on ground that they could not show that the portguese mail was exercising treaty rights (i think they may have overlooked sending certain documents when requested ) and that they had not been in UK for 4 years to qualify for ILR.

Question:
    1) Should they now apply for settlment - the wife using (form SET (M) and the children using form SET (F) - since this does not require them to be here for four years

2) Should they re-apply using Form EEC2 and as they have now been here in UK for exactly four years ?

3) As they were refused in 2004 the stay is technically illegal - so would this affect their applications ?

Would appreciate any guidance, Home office have given conflicting advice so at a loss!

2. Coyan

Coyan Addicted member

City:
    Den Hague
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    The authorities may have a point here. If I get your posting right, the non EEA dependents joined the EEA partner in 2001 and were issued with an EEA Residence Permit which has a duration of 4 years (in her case until 2005).

To be entitled to an Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) whilst having an EEA permit, you should had lived in the UK for the duration of the 4yr period. Regardless of the current status of the partner his non-EEA family is required to exercise his/her stay to its full duration which should be until 2005 and not anytime earlier to become entitled to an ILR.

With just a year to run on their permit why the rush to take themselves from under EU Law with its better protection and make themselves vulnerable under UK immigration Law. I think there is more to the information that have been provided and until one really gets the full picture and the details of the case its very difficult to make a very informed opinion.

In conclusion though I would say, if they are still married, regardless of any mistake, she is entitled to an ILR sometime this year. But if per some chance prior to the expiration of her EEA permit, she may have taken herself from under EU Law and placed her circumstances under the UK Immigration rules, I would advise that she seeks counsel from a solicitor to get the Home Office to redress such an unnecessary mistake.

As regards your question, I will suggest that they follow option 2:

Re-apply using Form EEC2 since they have now been in the UK for four years?

As regards the technicality of the rejection of the previous application, they were rightly refused the ILR which they were not entitled to at the time of the application. However it does not affect their existing Permit and in all respects they are still legal residents.