Forum Spain

Forum of expats in Spain: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Relocating to Javea Spain - Help!!?

Discussion in 'Spain' started by rossgalbally, Jan 11, 2006.

1. rossgalbally

rossgalbally New Member

City:
    UK
    Hi

We are moving to Javea, Spain (Costa Blanca) in May 2006 and we would really appreciate any help anyone, who has made the move from the UK to Spain, can offer!

We have secured a villa in Javea, which we will rent for a year, and will be purchasing a property a little later.

However, we have two very young children age 4 and 1.

Our 4 year old daughter will go to school in September and we would love to hear any information/experiences anyone has about putting their children into a Spanish School.

We looked at International Schools in Javea, but we aren't really sure about them! We would really like her to intergrate into the Spanish way of life, rather than live the English life in Spain!

If anyone has any school telephone numbers, etc, we would be really grateful

Also we will be setting up our own business and if anyone can give us info on how to do it or tips that would be appreciated too!

Thank you

Ross

2. GCM

GCM New Member

City:
    Javea, Spain.
    Hi Ross

Moving to Javea or Spain is a huge step, even now I wonder if I've done the right thing on some days - having said that - I never think about moving back to England. I do love it here but I worry too much, I guess about making money and the kids and what they will do later.

It is a great place for kids to grow up and most people give that as the reason they have moved here. It does feel pretty safe and they can do so much.

We put our daughter into Spanish school. It has been fine although the class is 60% English and so there isn't really any integration into Spanish culture and her best friend is also English. That concerns me a little although she might make Spanish friends later. Javea is very very English but that has it's advantages for us.

International school I think is for people testing the water or for kids that are older and unlikely to adapt. It's a good option while you see if you can settle here.

The key thing is making a living, many people struggle and everyone will say that it is a struggle and many people do a job here, a job there to make ends meet. So it depends on how comfortable you are moneywise in the first instance.

It helps to be completely fed up with your life in England otherwise you could come here and think about going back as it is very safe and easy in England where if something goes wrong you can speak to someone and deal with it quite easily.

House prices are definitely negotiable. I would rent first and then find the right sort of seller who is happy to take a large discount. Reemember many prices are inflated over the odds in the first place - they are waiting for someone like you who doesn't know any different.

Finally here is a good messageboard to fire off your questions:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BritsinSpain2003/

Another good site for info. is http://www.costablancauncovered.com

Regards

Mark