Forum Departure


Forum of expats Departure: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

  Search the whole website

  User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Longterm visa to Schengen area

Discussion in 'Departure' started by rtmt1212, Apr 10, 2012.

  1. rtmt1212

    rtmt1212 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2012
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Gender:
    Female
    Living In:
    Nepal
    Nationality:
    Nepalese (NP)
    Languages:
    english
    Hello,

    I come from Nepal. My husband will be in Greece for two years (for his studies).I want to join him but I was told i cannot get a visa besides tourist visa for three months to Schengen area, that too I can apply once only every 6 month.I have tried everything but doesn't seem to help.Can any one pleasee suggest me how can i get a long-term visa in the Schengen area ?There might also be a country which allows tourist visa extension, if so then I can freely travel to Greece from there as well.Please help me :(
     
  2. texkourgan

    texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    Messages:
    7,051
    Likes Received:
    17
    Gender:
    Female
    City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    I would recommend starting with the Expat guide to Greece including a section on visas.

    Options for Longterm visas to the Schengen area include:

    If you hold a residence permit valid for at least one year for a country in the Schengen Area within the EU, you may apply to have your family join you. However, some countries require you to wait two or three years before allowing family members to join you. You must also demonstrate stable and sufficient income to support yourself and your family, along with evidence of health insurance coverage. Once your family members have arrived, they may be eligible to work, attend school or receive work-related training. They may also be eligible to apply for their own long-term residence permits after five years. Eligible family members include your opposite-sex spouse.

    I hope that helps illuminate your options. Best of luck! :D
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rtmt1212

    rtmt1212 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2012
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Gender:
    Female
    Living In:
    Nepal
    Nationality:
    Nepalese (NP)
    Languages:
    english
    thanks a zillion but i dont think i fit into this category, as I am the spouse of a person studying in Greece.He is there only for two years from September 2011 till July 2013, so I want to join him till then.
     
  4. texkourgan

    texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    Messages:
    7,051
    Likes Received:
    17
    Gender:
    Female
    City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    I think this information does pertain to you. Does your husband hold a "...residence permit valid for at least one year for a country in the Schengen Area within the EU..."? Then he should be able to "have your family join you" if he can prove "stable and sufficient income to support yourself and your family, along with evidence of health insurance coverage".

    If you have questions, it is a good idea to start with the nearest embassy. Good luck.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. rtmt1212

    rtmt1212 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2012
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Gender:
    Female
    Living In:
    Nepal
    Nationality:
    Nepalese (NP)
    Languages:
    english
    Thank You so much, yes he has a resident permit but its only valid till July 2013.I hope it works this way.I will contact the embassy regarding this.Thank you once again, if it works I will come visit you in Berlin and I'll buy you a drink ;) ;) thanks again .
     
  6. texkourgan

    texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    Messages:
    7,051
    Likes Received:
    17
    Gender:
    Female
    City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Ha - best of luck! I hope it all works out for you. Please do tell us what you find and how the process goes.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. rtmt1212

    rtmt1212 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2012
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Gender:
    Female
    Living In:
    Nepal
    Nationality:
    Nepalese (NP)
    Languages:
    english
    Hi as you suggested, my husband inquired to the authorities in Greece but they said although he holds a residence permit, he cannot have a provision for Family reunion because he is a student
    :( :( .So, i am now to situation square one :(
     
  8. texkourgan

    texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    Messages:
    7,051
    Likes Received:
    17
    Gender:
    Female
    City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    :( I am sorry to hear that. Anyone have any ideas or experience?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Loading...
Similar Threads Forum Date
✎ EN Belgium spouse visa Departure Jan 26, 2015
✎ FR Demande de Visa en Europe Departure Jan 23, 2014
✎ EN EEA family visa Departure Oct 15, 2012
✎ EN UK Fiance Visa Departure Feb 15, 2012
✎ EN US Citizen Fiance Visa to the UK Departure Jan 23, 2012

Share This Page