Forum Departure


Forum of expats Departure: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

  Search the whole website

  User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Youth Moving to London or Glasgow

Discussion in 'Departure' started by Artmod, Nov 16, 2005.

  1. Artmod

    Artmod New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    City:
    Canada but my heart is in the U.k
    Hello and good evening to everyone.
    Im 17 years of age mature female high school student.Im seroiusly considering moving to the England (London) or Glasgow for the summer where I can save money for University and have an understanding what the culture is like.I would like to attend UniversityCollege London or the Glasgow School of Art.I want to live in U.k for the rest of my life.I will be applying for my British Passport since all my family like my father and grandparents are from England but I was born in Toronto Canada.Though applying for that was delayed because I lost all my wallet which had all my I.D yesterday.Currently I have a Job at Tim Hortons and I used to work at Mcdonald,prior to that I was a child tutor. Im currenyly saving money for the summer.So I will get to the point.
    Could someone help from the start answer my questions,you will dear person to me amd the person that will change my life forever,a million thanks to you.
    Here are my questions
    1.Where can I get an full time job with the experience that I had mention and that I have alot of volunteering work such as film Festivals,nursing homes,art galleries,homeless shelters.and what is the minimum wage?

    2.where can I get a flat or is there youth hostiels that I can afford in either London or Glasgow on fast food salary and that I can afford going out?I would like to work at a gallery or cinema or cook,idealy
    Anything
    3.what should I do prior to moving there like paperwork.um visa.I really dont know what I would need.can I get a Job as soon I get there.from step one
    4.What about health care?
    5.could I get a job before moving there?how would I apply
    6.Any other infomation that I missed like bank information,bills
    7.The cost of living per month?

    I guess is like moving to the U.k 101

    Thank you very very much x
     
  2. EasyExpat

    EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2003
    Messages:
    8,583
    Likes Received:
    22
    City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    All your questions have answers on EasyExpat. Have a look at the section on London/UK.
     
  3. caledoniangirl

    caledoniangirl New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    City:
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Hi Artmod!

    If you are coming to the UK without any financial backing and you are looking to live in London on a "fast food salary", you'll struggle to survive. I'm 27 and on a pretty good salary for my home town and I couldn't conceive of a move to London as the cost of living there is far higher than the rest of the UK. I don't think I'd be wrong in saying that it'd be a pretty miserable experience trying to live in London on a very low wage.

    Glasgow would be a better choice for you as it's more affordable. You're young, so you'd probably like living in the Byers Road area which is near Glasgow University and is full of cafes, restaurants and pubs and is a short hop into the city centre. If you are into art, which by all accounts, you appear to be - then you could try and get a job at the Burrell Collection - it's a beautiful gallery in a fabulous building.

    Why not also consider Edinburgh, rental costs are higher than in Glasgow but there are more historic art galleries and museums such as The National Galleries of Scotland, the Dean Gallery and the delights of the Edinburgh Festival each August.

    Best of luck and I hope I've managed to help you with some of your questions.

    :)
     
Loading...
Similar Threads Forum Date
⌸ EN Magazine Moving to a new country with children Departure Oct 1, 2020
⚑ EN Announcement CASTING CALL: Americans moving abroad for their fiances! Departure Mar 1, 2018
✎ EN Moving to another country Departure Jun 9, 2017
⚑ EN Announcement BBC TV show looking for Brits moving abroad Departure Jun 17, 2013
✎ EN Moving Abroad Challenges Departure Sep 25, 2012

Share This Page