Forum Departure


Forum of expats Departure: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

  Search the whole website

  User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Should I go? And, could I go? (move to the UK)

Discussion in 'Departure' started by nortonloaf, Jul 4, 2006.

  1. nortonloaf

    nortonloaf New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    I've gotten an offer to move to the UK (not even sure where, yet) and work for at least 1year. The pay would be US $250k. I have a wife and 3 kids.

    I would have some options as to how to get paid...most likely I would choose to draw a salary in the US, and wire myself whatever funds we need for living expenses. This part is a grey area, it would take some investigation to decide what is the best choice. I will be 'working' for a private US company, who has no presence in the UK.

    The problem is I have to decide very quickly, within a couple weeks. I've just started my search for info, but I would really appreciate it if someone could point me to a story or description about someone who went through something similar. Main questions I have at this point are:

    1) Is this even possible?

    2) My kids are school-age. Would they be able to attend school in the UK, or would it be easier/better to simply keep them out? I suppose this would be the choice if we were going to claim to just be on vacation in the UK for a year.

    And a bunch of other questions I don't even know to ask yet. ;)

    Any links to relevant info would be greatly appreciated...I don't need to solve all the problems right now, I just need to decide if it can even be done.
     
  2. nortonloaf

    nortonloaf New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Sorry, one more bit of info that may be relevant. My 'job' will entail setting up an office and filling it with local people, and managing it for a year while I train someone to manage it permanently.
     
  3. EasyExpat

    EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2003
    Messages:
    8,583
    Likes Received:
    22
    City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    250 USD equal about 140 GBP so it is a very, very good salary! Especially if you can keep some monies outside. Will you be paying tax in the UK as well as in the US (see blog)

    Regarding the kids, it depends on the age of course. Primary school is not the same as college. But anyway you should be able to afford private international school and it is always a good experience.
     
Loading...
Similar Threads Forum Date
✎ EN Which nothern european country should I move to? Departure May 25, 2018
✎ EN Withdrawal of Siachen Glacier should be unilateral? Departure Apr 20, 2012
✎ EN Working for UK company But living aboad. Should I pay UK Tax Departure Oct 3, 2008
✎ EN Gibraltar: Should we advertise for a business Departure Sep 18, 2004

Share This Page