Forum London


Forum of expats in London: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

  Search the whole website

  User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Cost of living & accomodation in london

Discussion in 'London' started by y2k, Dec 12, 2003.

  1. y2k

    y2k New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2005
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi All,

    I'm hoping to move to London in January. I won't be working for the first 3 months as I'll be studying. Excluding any materials I may need for study etc, how much do I need to budget to realistically to spend each week on food, accomodation, travel etc? also, when I do start working, what would be a decent salary for living in London? I saw one job recently that was £12,000 - I'm expecting to earn more than that, but would it be possible to live on that (unless you were living rent free somewhere)?

    Also, one final question - how difficult is it to find somewhere to stay in London? Does it take long?

    Thanks in advance for any replies
     
  2. EasyExpat

    EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2003
    Messages:
    8,583
    Likes Received:
    22
    City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Hi,
    You will have an idea of the life cost with our Cost of Living comparison.

    London is very expensive. You can compare other prices,especially accommodation, transport and food by going to different websites and compare online.
    Of course I encourage you first to pay attention to all the information provided by EasyExpat on the London section.

    For the first month, you could budget:
    - £90/week for accommodation
    - £75 for a travelcard [zone 1-2] per month,
    - £10 for a mobile pay as you go sim card,
    - £30 of pphone calls,
    - £8 a day for food,
    - £30 a month for other goodies...
    - £350 of deposit for flat sharing, ...

    Total = about £1000/month.
    Of course you can lower your budget by being more careful with phone, food, etc...

    £12000 is not much at all! I think the minimum wage in England is about £800/month (£4.50 per hour for adult employees - and you add subsidies such as accommodation - council houses - but you won't have that when you first arrive).
    I would say that everything below £17000 is really low...

    For your final question, it can be really quick (1-2 days, 1 week if you are unlucky...) for a flatsharing... You will find all the information here.

    [%sig%]
     
  3. y2k

    y2k New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2005
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Re: cost of living & accomodation in london

    Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I had budgeted about £1000 / month myself for expences, but I was beginning to get worried about whether that'd be enough. I did think that £12,000 was a little low, but I am expecting to earn more than that myself. Glad to hear that you can find somewhere really quick, that's good to hear.

    Thanks again for your reply, you've helped put my mind at ease a little.

    Regards
    Martin
     
Loading...
Similar Threads Forum Date
☛ EN Advice Cost of living in London London Sep 13, 2012
✎ EN London: resident permit, tax, cost of living London Nov 15, 2007
✎ EN Cost of transport in London: highest in the world London Oct 4, 2005
✎ IT Costo della vita: Da Roma a Londra London Jan 7, 2004
✎ EN Salary and costs in london London Jun 20, 2003

Share This Page