Forum Spain

Forum of expats in Spain: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Couple from Miami Beach moving to Spain...

Discussion in 'Spain' started by bliksembug, Apr 25, 2004.

1. bliksembug

bliksembug New Member

City:
    Miami Beach
    Hi everyone!! Merry meet!
    We're (husband and me) moving to Spain in September 2004. We visited Barcelona last year for 2 months and found it to be too busy. Does anyone have any ideas about good areas to rent an apartment? We are considering Valencia but do not know much about the area. We understand it is the third largest and most condensed city in Spain (we can't imagine more condensed than Barcelona!). Language is not a problem for us. We are both of Spanish descent. We are not looking for work either, we run our own business in the states which we'll continue to manage from abroad.
    We are most concerned about living lifestyle. We want to let an apt or cottage in an area near atleast a weekly produce market, as well as nature - that being the coast or the country. Being from Miami Beach...I prefer a coastal lifestyle.
    We visited Barcelona for two months last year and found it to be a better vacation than living lifestyle. Way too busy and fast paced for us. We prefer to have shopping nearby (within walking distance or metro) since we hate to drive or get caught up in the hassle of owning a vehicle.
    We're leaving the states for political reasons and prefer to settle in a more liberal, young and socially conscious area...if possible.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions for us... we are happy to hear!
    Thank you for reading this...

[%sig%]

2. composerK

composerK Active Member

City:
    Malaga
    Living In:
    Spain
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    What about the Costa del Sol?
    I grew up in Santa Barbara, California and, when my husband and I honeymooned in the Costa del Sol, I found it just like home. I love it there and will soon be rejoining my husband.

Nerja is a lovely, more traditional, coastal town. Benalmadena is just outside Malaga and has a gorgeous harbor where a lot of the rich and famous have homes or businesses. Between Marbella and Benalmadena if you lived up on the hills, you would have a view of Gibraltar, Africa, the sea (obviously) and the snowy peaks of the Sierra Nevada (absolutely STUNNING). Torrequebrada is also a quiet, sought after area.

My husband is in real estate in Spain.

Check out <http://www.palmeraproperties.com>

If you're interested, contact Franco.

[%sig%]

Post Edited (05-08-2004 10:37)

3. angry man

angry man New Member

:grrr: Perhaps 1 man can bring two crooks to justice, that being mr & mrs Javier Vidueira probably fleeing to Spain

4. malcolmkettering

malcolmkettering New Member

City:
    Valencia, Spain
    Hello,

We are also an American couple, now living in Valencia. It is a great place to end up; they call it a town masquerading as a city. And that is really what it is like. Big enough to have everything you need yet small enough to walk across in under 30 mins. And the beach is here, along with the best market in Europe and beautiful parks, etc.

I'm wondering how you are going to attain legal status to live here? My partner and I also have a US-based business that we can manage from here and have been trying and trying to work through the bureaucracy to get a self-employment residency & work permit & visa. We've just about given up however because there are multiple catch-22s. Unless you can afford to spend multiple weeks here in a hotel, then go back to the US for more multiple weeks, etc., we just haven't found a way to legally complete their process. And they openly admit that the process is broken. At times it seemed like we were the first people ever attempting to complete this process as the people helping us were getting large binders and rule books off shelves and flipping through them to find answers.

So we think we have been fools in a way, trying to do it legally. Seems like we're the only ones who are. All other Americans we've met here are illegal. Let me know if you've found some other way!!