Forum Denmark

Forum of expats in Denmark: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Non EU , getting married to EU citizen in dk

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by MichelleGrace, Mar 12, 2013.

1. MichelleGrace

MichelleGrace New Member

Living In:
    Denmark
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English, Tagalog, Dansk
    I hope anyone can give me Advice . Im a Filipino Citizen presently working in Denmark as Aupair. I met my boyfriend here in denmark. He is a romanian citizen. He works here the same his parents are living and working here in Denmark. We love each other and and it will break our heart when i need to leave from denmark after my contract as aupair.

Now we plan of getting married here in denmark. Was it possible for us to get married here ?. and if we get married here can i stay here with him . What procedure we need to do so i can stay here with him.

I have read a lot about the family reunification . It states there that we should be living together as husband and wife for at least 18 months. But we cannot meet this requirements because we are getting married before my contract finish on June 2013 .. what we need to do .. are there other option so we can be together ?

I hope someone can give us advice ..We really want to be together ... thanks for all in advance .

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    A good place to start for information on Denmark is the Guide to Copenhagen. It offers info on visas etc. However, it doesn't totally cover marriage requirements.

According to the Danish Marriage Act, you must:
    Be lawfully present in Denmark
    Documentation showing present marital status, i.e. copy of your last tax return
    Valid passport showing proof of entry into Denmark or into the Schengen area
    If you have been previously married, you must present your original divorce decree.

You should contact the Citizens Service Center (Borgerservice) http://www.kk.dk - http://www.kk.dk/ If you are planning to get married in Copenhagen, but you are not yet in Denmark, you may contact the Copenhagen City Hall

There have also been similar posts on the forum:
    post65911.html?hilit=marry%20denmark#p65911
    post77646.html#p77646
    You can try contacting these expats and see how it worked, wither on the forum or network. I would also recommend checking out expat blogs in Denmark as many people have been through a similar issue.

Let us know how it goes & if you have more questions. Congrats & good luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MichelleGrace

MichelleGrace New Member

Living In:
    Denmark
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English, Tagalog, Dansk
    hi Texkourgan... Thank you so much for the time reading and replying to my message ... each reply would mean a lot for my life. I consider your reply a big help for me ..I will look on the links you gave me . And whatever the result or info i have in this situation i will write here so it can help others also with the same situation like mine ... And for those who have the same experience please feel free to write here . It will help me a lot .. Thanks and have a good day ...

4. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Happy to help :D Congrats on your upcoming nuptials & best of luck! I wish you all the best.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Lynnstec

Lynnstec Member

City:
    Amsterdam
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English, filipino
    I would suggest that you visit their city hall/registrar's office.. Not sure how it's called in Dk. Ask them what are the requirements for marriage... Im a pinay and got married with an eu man.. I think you have 3 choices, you can have marriage under the dk civil reg office, 2nd you can get married at the embassy of your bf's nationality, or 3rd which was easiest for me and my partner was getting married sa ilang country and town.. Which ever you choose.. Call the office, make sure you have all the authenticated requirements yourself.. How old are you? Phil embassy requirements are listed on their website.. :) hope it helps.. :)

6. Lena

Lena New Member

Living In:
    Denmark
    Nationality:
    Russian (RU)
    Languages:
    Русский, English, Dansk, Espanol
    Hi Michelle

Regarding 18 months, it's needed only if you're planning to cohabitate. To get married it is not demanded.

Actually all the official information can be found here: http://www.nyidanmark.dk/da-dk

Though you might have already been there since you've mentioned that you've been reading a lot on family reunification.

I am Russian and my husband is Danish. We got married in October 2012. I have written about some details on what you need to get married in my blog. You might want to check it out: http://gotodenmark.blogspot.dk/2013/02/ ... VnghJOeM4Q (regarding the procedure to be followed in order to get married to a Dane) + this one: http://gotodenmark.blogspot.dk/2013/02/ ... nmark.html (regarding application for the permit).

Let me know if this was of help to you. If you have more questions, you can always send me a personal message :)

Lots of luck! I know how it is to not know if you're going to be able to stay wth your loved one here!

Best,
    Lena

7. MichelleGrace

MichelleGrace New Member

Living In:
    Denmark
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English, Tagalog, Dansk
    Good day :) First of all i want to say thank you to Lynnstec, I did your advice and ask the kommune regarding the requirements for marriage and now Im just waiting for the arrival of my documents from the philippines .

And to Lena ... thank you so much for your message .. i think i got all the information i need from your messages and blog.. I read it all very carefully and gave me alot of pointers that we need to do for applying the family reunification ... I really want to stay here in denmark not because of the residence visa , its because i want to live with my love ... and i hope everything will be fine when we apply for the family reunification . I am just worried for one thing though :( , because my husband to be , works under VIKAR .. i dont know if you have idea about vikar .. Vikar call them and give them places where they can work , in different places ... but the good thing is , he is now working in one firma continously and dont change places .. and the same he pays the skat .. I read that he need a signed contract from his work ... but since he is not a regular employee in this firma , but he is under VIKAR , i hope they can give my husband to be a signed contract that he is previosly working .... I hope you understand what i mean ... but if this is no problem .. i think it will be ok ... I really hope that everything will be fine .. because we dont want to be send back to my husband country in romania .. because here is better place to work and live together ... If you have any idea on this , hope u can give me more advice ... but so far you link are very much helpful to me ... Thank you so much and i hope u have a good day :) God Bless you .. all the response i get from this helps alot :)

8. Lena

Lena New Member

Living In:
    Denmark
    Nationality:
    Russian (RU)
    Languages:
    Русский, English, Dansk, Espanol
    Hi Michelle

I'm so happy to hear that the information has helped you!! I would though like to point out again that I was writing about my own experience (i.e. one from non-EU country married to a Dane). As I also write in my blog, these are things you should be aware of, but you should still check all the things you're in doubt with, with the Danish Immigration Service. Hope, this makes sense :)

As for vikar, unfortunately I do not know about the rules aaplying to vikar workers. But what I would definitely recommend your future husband should do, is to try and find it out before you apply for the permit. Because if you get rejection, serious concequences might follow. I believe, the best idea would be to call the Danish Immigration Service. Another thing is that you should not rely on the experiences of those who got their permit before the new Danish government, because the new government introduced a lot of new rules :)

Please feel free to ask more questions, should you have any :)

I am looking forward to hearing how it goes with your marriage and permit!

Best,
    Lena

9. Lynnstec

Lynnstec Member

City:
    Amsterdam
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English, filipino
    Alright.. I'm not sure how strict their kommune in Dk is.. Here in Holland, I need to have my birth cert red ribboned and authenticated by the dutch embassy in manila.. And by the way if you are under 26, Phil embassy in Dk will ask for another paper aside from the usual ones and red ribboned din.. :)

10. Arka12345

Arka12345 New Member

City:
    copenhagen
    Living In:
    Denmark
    Nationality:
    Kenyan (KE)
    Languages:
    English
    Dear MichelleGrace

I tried to contact you on private messaging but it doesnt seem to be working. I wanted to ask how it went with getting married and having residence permit. Did it work for you? Was it smooth? How long did it take?

I am Kenyan, currently studying in Copenhagen. I am with my Polish boyfriend (EU citizen) long before we came to Denmark and we would like to stay here for now.

I hope you can read this post. Thank you

11. Clara38

Clara38 New Member

City:
    Malmö
    Living In:
    Sweden
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English
    Hello michelle grace!
    I have read your forum and it really got my interest! I am also a Filipina with a Romanian boyfriend. We almost have the same situation that you have except that he is still a student and at the same time working a part time job. Is there a chance for us to get married and stay together in Denmark? How does it goes with your inquiries? Hope to hear from you! Thanks!