Forum Spain

Forum of expats in Spain: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Moving to Costa Blanca - info needed please

Discussion in 'Spain' started by Kim01, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Kim01

Kim01 New Member

City:
    Wiltshire,UK
    Hi all :wave:

I am planning to move permanently to the Costa Blanca (prob Alicante/Valencia) in about a year (winter '04).
    I am giving myself a year in which to learn the language and save some pennies... :)

I am a 45yr old British woman, I will need work - (experienced in bar work, shop work, office work, gardening rounds, masseur, so can do pretty much whatever i can get). I also need to rent a small flat/apartment near to the town on a long-term lease, as i cannot afford to buy.

What i would like is any information of British people who have settled in the Costa Brava, how easy it is to get work in these areas if u speak a little spanish, and how the rented housing works in spain.

Do the long term rentals have security of tenure like council hsg does in UK?
    What sort of prices do small flats cost in Alicante,Valencia etc.

replies from anybody that can give me any general info or help on relocating will be most welcome, thank you :)

Regards, Kim xxxx

2. silverton expatriation

City:
    Biscarrosse
    Living In:
    France
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    silverton may help we can provide you an expatriation kit to costa blanca pls contact us.

[%sig%]

3. beebee

beebee New Member

City:
    Troon
    Hi I can't really answer your query, but We too are moving to the Rojales area of Costa Blanca, having already purchased a house in the area.
    Our query is about sending our child to the local school. Can anyone tell me their experiences of the education system and of the pros & cons of attending local mainstream schools, it would be a primary school.

[%sig%]

4. mateusqueen

mateusqueen Member

City:
    beckenham
    hy we are also moving to quasda in april ,i have a 3 year old , i was wandering if you got a reply to your letter posted if you did could you pass on any relevant information about the school system. cheers

[%sig%]

5. Annie80

Annie80 New Member

6. britsinspain

britsinspain Member

City:
    Torrevieja
  7. Jo01

Jo01 Member

Hi

We are hoping to move to the Rojales/Quesada area Oct 04. We are also looking for advice on the schooling and as we are in our thirties with a one year old are keen to be in an area with people of a similar age. Any advice on which area to buy/rent in?

Cheers
    Jo

8. britsinspain

britsinspain Member

City:
    Torrevieja
  9. mateusqueen

mateusqueen Member

City:
    beckenham
    hi i have just moved to quesada and i found the school system quite easy even though i dont speak spainish,the school gave me the forms my daughter is 3 nearly 4 .i went 2 the doctors he filled in forms and examined her ,then i went 2 town hall and got my papers 2 say she lives at my adress and that was it .although i had 2 return 2 school with an interpreture and fill out some forms she was aloud 2 go next day. only problem is i dont drive so getting there is a problem i cant put her on school bus until she is used to the school.

[%sig%]

10. Jo01

Jo01 Member

Hi

Thanks for the replies. Tanya what age do they start at the school ? I have been getting so many mixed messages some people say they start at 3 and others that they start at 6. I know its a way off for me yet but I'd like to know as much as possible before we move.

Do you know of any long term rental agencies in the town that i could contact? We are thinking of renting for the first 6 months to make sure we are in the right area.

I'll have a look at the web sites that have been suggested as well.

Thanks again for the reply. its great to know there are other people out there doing it who I can ask questions.

Cheers
    Jo

11. mateusqueen

mateusqueen Member

City:
    beckenham
    hi my daughter is 3 they can start as soon as there 3 some children are 2and a half.the legal age is 6 so thats when they by law have to start. hope you find this useful my daughter actually starts tomorrow so nerve racking stuff i dont know any agencies as we brought off the owner direct good luck tanya :wave:

[%sig%]

12. Jo01

Jo01 Member

Thanks Tanya

I hope your little one got on okay.

13. mateusqueen

mateusqueen Member

City:
    beckenham
    yes she was fine a few tears ,today when i took her back at three she cried but when i picked here up at five she was fine.she has made friends already and seems to understand the teacher who doesnt speak any english. the problem today is that half of quesada has no water they didnt tell us it was going of we have been without since this morning great fun tanya ;-)

[%sig%]

14. Jo01

Jo01 Member

Nightmare with the water situation.
    I'm glad your daughter got on well. it amazes me how easily they adapt and its a great age as she will learn the language with no effort (you will just have the problem of keeping up with her!!)
    I hope you don't mind me asking questions its just great to be able to speak to someone who is already there. Do you have the details of any estate agents (apart from QSD as I have all their details) that are in Quesada/Rojales? No matter where i search I'm not getting anything, surely there must be others who sell resale properties.

If you would like to email my email you can send it to gary@gnewlands.fsnet.co.uk

Jo

15. mateusqueen

mateusqueen Member

City:
    beckenham
    if you send me an adress i can send you local papers and quesada ,quesada a local monthly paper there ars lotsof sites to many to e-mail you

[%sig%]

16. Jo01

Jo01 Member

Hi Tanya

That would be great.
    I'm a bit wary of putting my address on the website though - I might get all kinds of loonies sending me stuff.! Would you mind sending me your email address and I'll send it to you there? My emails are
    home: gary@gnewlands.fsnet.co.uk
    work: joanne.newlands@oup.com

We are coming out 26th July so hoping to pick up lots more info then and hopefully try and sort out a rental from Oct/November for 6 months but
    anything you send between now and then will give us a start.

Thanks again
    Jo

17. MLF

MLF Member

Hi Jo

I hope your search is going well, I have read your emails on this site and I am saying that just sound what i'm saying - i have two daughters age 7 & 4 and we are desperate to get out to spain but are having problems finding properties to rent and info on jobs - i wish you good luck in your search and maybe see you at the school gate one day!!!

Michelle

18. Jo01

Jo01 Member

Hi Michelle

I wasn't being ignorant not replying to your message my internet connection at home has been down for a while and I have only just got it fixed!
    How is the house hunting going?
    We have now got a 6 month rent from the 1st November which is from someone we met whilst we were in Spain a few weeks ago. I think it can seem so complicated but when you are there everyone is really helpful and it seems so much easier to sort things out. I don't know if you have heard of RicoVillas but i have found them really helpful with rental info , the website is www.ricovillas.com
    We have sold our house in the Uk now and are just waiting for it to all go through and then we are off. We have just decided to give it a go and see what happens or we might think forever 'I wonder what would have happened?'

Any way, I hope you are getting on okay and if you want to email me I have a new hotmail account ready for when i move. It is JoNewlands9@hotmail.com, feel free to email this if you like, it is always good to hear from other people in a similar situation and who knows? maybe I will see you at the school gate one day!

Jo

19. parrot

parrot Member

20. shar.richards

shar.richards New Member

City:
    Albatera, Costa BLanca
    Hi all have been reading postings on children and schooling and just want to say that on the whole children 12 and under settle into Spanish life and school very quickly. The younger they are the more they "soak up" My 10 & 12 year old who are just completing their first years are jabbering away in Spanish like I would never have dreamed, they put me to shame. There is a whole topic on schools especially in the costa Blanca area

Good Luck :)

www.livespainforlife.co.uk