Forum Spain

Forum of expats in Spain: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Moving from the us to spain

Discussion in 'Spain' started by lambrettagrrl, Nov 3, 2004.

1. lambrettagrrl

lambrettagrrl New Member

City:
    portland, or, u
    hi there! well, as of yesterday's election results, i want to move out of the us. myself and a few friends are considering spain. does anyone have any idea as to what i would need to do to move there? not looking for citizenship, just the ability to work and live for a while (a couple years or so). any clues would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

kat

[%sig%]

2. 0

0 Guest

Response

The easiest way I would recommend, from what I know, is to first come here via some international student program of a long duration. There are many such programs available not only in Spain but through many universities that you can look up on the internet. You can do internships through many of them where financial aid can help you. Once you are here, you can apply for an annual and renewable Student NIF identity card at the national police station here 60 days after you get here depending on the length of your program and how much money you can use (whether yours or financial aid). Also, You can work under the table here quite easily if you have any good job skills, especially teaching english even without a TESL degree.

If you do not want to become a student, there is a lot of nanny/au pair type work available and also some tourism exchange work programs that could at least give you some time to stay here in goabroad.com for example. Once you are here, and especially if you have any money saved up, you will be surprised at how much under the table work you can find. But again this depends on your work experience, determination, how much money you can bring with you, and what you are willing to do for work. I don't know too much about this route, but it seems to me that without connections some kind, or without supposedly a very "high level" work experience of some sort, that a student program for at least one of you is the best way to go.

Now a Residency permit or Legal long-term work, is a whole different story, that is something I am looking into right now. I wish you the best of luck...

Sincerely,

Tito

3. Bryce_Williams

Bryce_Williams New Member

City:
    OXSPRING
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    english
    i also agree with tilo.............nice :geek:

4. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...