Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Married to Polish girl. What does this allow me in the EU??

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by shweetee, Apr 22, 2008.

1. shweetee

shweetee New Member

Hi All,

I really need help with this. I am a South african guy married to a polish woman. We currently live in SA and we were thinking of going over to Europe/UK etc. With my wife being Polish, what does this mean for me?
    Do I qualify for an EU passport? Does this help my chances of getting a VISA?
    Where would be the best place to go and find the info I need?

We are desperate to leave as soon as possible.

Your response would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
    Paul

2. mellowd

mellowd Active Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    South African (ZA)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi Paul.

I too am from South Africa and my wife is Hungarian. You won't get an EU passport for sure, but you can get a visa. I assume she has a Polish passport?

If so you'll need to apply for a FMRS. That only lasts for a year (and takes about 6 months to get) and soon after you can apply for an EEA2 visa. Your wife, with her Polish passport, won't need anything extra. (but will need an EEA1 card in order for you to get EEA2)

3. mellowd

mellowd Active Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    South African (ZA)
    Languages:
    English
    Just a bit more info I think I could give.

Where are you planning to live/visit? If you want to come and live in the UK, then I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can only apply for FMRS (Family member residence stamp) while you are in the UK itself.

If thats the case you could apply for a working holiday visa, come here on that and then apply for FMRS. Your wife would need to apply for a residence card as well (EEA1), as you can only apply for EEA2 when your wife has EEA1 (You can apply for them both at the same time like we did) - also, your wife would have no restriction entering the UK, you'll have to go through the whole 'working holiday' process

If you do that you'll need to send evidence of the 2 of you living together as a couple. That means bring joint statements (bank, bills, everything you can get your hands on) from South Africa with you. Of course you'll need your marriage certificate as well. All originals, no copies allowed.

If you want to visit any EU country, because of yoru marriage you still need visa's, but you won't have to pay for them under EU law (though some still get you, like the dutch embassy which require you to phone an 09 number costing £10 to get an appointment) you won't have to pay for the visa itself though.

As for living in other EU countries. Because you are a family member of a EEA citizen you should be allowed as much access as her, but I really don't know the details of any other EU country.