Forum Montreal

Forum of expats in Montreal: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Looking for friends in Montreal

Discussion in 'Montreal' started by steph74, May 2, 2004.

1. steph74

steph74 Member

City:
    Manchester
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Hi everyone,

I am french and arrived in Montreal 2 months ago. I am feeling a bit lonely in this big city so i thought i might be able to meet people through this site.
    So if you are interested on meeting me, i can speak french (obviously!), english and spanish so please contact me.

I hope to hear from you very soon.

2. jfitton

jfitton New Member

City:
    Montreal
    Hello Steph,

Snap! I moved here just over 2 months ago and am finding it very difficult to make friends. I moved here with work, and thought that people would like to be friends with someone from the UK. But there are so many nationalities here, I realize I'm nothing new!

I've started French classes twice a week, which I'm struggling with at the moment on top of a 10 hour working day. However, all the students are already here studying so have a student life already.

Weekends are very lonely. I'm 30, and work as a Project Manager in a translation agency (strange considering I only speak English) on Avenue McGill.

My friend suggested coming on this site and trying to meet up with new people. I'm shy to an extent and not very good at pushing myself on people, which makes it hard when trying to make friends.

Where are you from? What do you do and what are you interested in?

This feels so strange, writing to someone I don't know....

From a fellow loner in Montreal.

Jenna

3. rosiecheeks

rosiecheeks New Member

City:
    Montreal
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Hi Jenna and Steph,

Well, I've been here off and on for 5 years and the few friends I made have since moved away. I'm looking to expand my circle. Maybe we could form a little get-together-over-coffee group for the lonely in Montreal :)

I'm 31, ending a relationship and trying to find new people to hang out with.

rosiecheeks29@hotmail.com is where I can be reached....and I'm serious about starting a weekly get-together group if there are enough interested parties.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Rosie

[%sig%]

4. Spethi

Spethi Member

City:
    Montreal
    Hallo all you lonely people!

I just know too well what you are talking about...it is very hard to make new friends if you are not the type that just can go and talk to everybody!
    I know I might be too young for your "coffee-club" but if you might happen to know anybody on my age please tell me about them!
    Good luck lonely guys!

Lisbeth

[%sig%]

5. jfitton

jfitton New Member

City:
    Montreal
    Hi Lisbeth

What are you talking about too old?!! 30's young! Or it is if you're me....I have a very young outlook on life. I don't think I'm mature enough to be 30 yet, I don't feel it. I'm not cashing in the pension yet and love to go out for a drink and party.

You never said how old you were?

The coffee club hasn't started yet, so maybe we could go for a beer, a wine or whatever spirit you drink! I'm having a vodka & coke right now. I better shut up before nobody emails me because they think I've got a drink problem...

Bye for now.

Old codger ;o)

6. Spethi

Spethi Member

City:
    Montreal
    Hi jenna,

Sorry...30 is not old at all...only if you feel it is..and you diffinately don't...that is great!:) Well...I guess I just thought that you were thinking that I am too young since none of you answered on my "anybody in Montreal"-message!! I am only 20...but hey...that's only a half life younger than you:)
    But if you really are planing to make a "coffee/beer/drink-club" I think I would like to join you some time...you sound like a funny person who must be great to be together with!!

From the little girl:)

7. angiedr

angiedr New Member

City:
    Montreal
    Hi,
    I can really understand you, I've been here in Montreal for about 2 years and all of my friends have moved away so I would like to meet new peopleand make new friends. I like the idea of the coffee. By the way I'm 25.
    Angela

8. HEYWALES

HEYWALES New Member

HI ALL,
    i am planning to m migrate to montreal soon and looking to make some friends before i get there. i am in uk now but if you are interested in expanding your circle in a wider way drop me a message at johnpaulselvaraj@yahoo.com . by the way i am johnpaul. i am 25.

9. sweetliberty

sweetliberty New Member

City:
    Montreal
    Hello all,

I've been in Montreal just over 2 years and have had a terrible time meeting people or maintaining friendships, I guess because I'm not really into the nightlife scene. I'm dying to meet people with interests outside of clubbing and barhopping, anyone interested in food, or music, or literature.. or just to hang out with on the weekend and have a few drinks and cook up a storm :)

I live very near the downtown area and would love to meet some people who I can have a good time with!

Cheers!
    Tabinda

10. thrisiakaye

thrisiakaye New Member

hello steph!....

11. kryster

kryster Member

City:
    quebec
    looking to meet people in montreal?

I am a member of a really cool website for meeting people.

www.meetin.org/city/meetinmontreal

it's not a singles site. it's just a social group. For example this past weekend we had a great picnic with food, games, and prizes. we have a coffee night coming soon, a meet n greet, and a bbq.

check it out.

and if you need to know more about me before you want to check it out,
    I'm female, 29 years old, I'm married - my husband is a member of the site as well. I am originally from vancouver, BC, canada and I moved to montreal 4 yrs ago. When i moved here I found meetin, I joined up and I have made lots of friends this way.

12. hqdang

hqdang New Member

City:
    Montreal
    Hello all! I'm about to go to Montreal for work in a few months. I actually went to there a few years ago. I stayed there for almost a year to manage the property of my boss. At the same time I made a couple of new friends however they all moved. This time i will be moving there for work and studies so i decided to check this website. It got be curious since it's the first time i will be sending any message to someone i don't know. Well, i will never know if i don't try. I want to meet new friends online so when i get there it will be easier for me to adjust again.
    Patrick

13. sarah02

sarah02 New Member

hello

I'm Sarah 22 years old,.
    I arrived in Montreal 3 month ago, i realy like it here BUT its hard for me to find friends, because my french is not really good.
    Its not that I feel lonley because i life in a big sharehouse + my boyfriend...
    its just to escape sometime from home :D

so if you are interessted to meet me, contact me here.
    Hope to get some answers.

14. purpleananas

purpleananas New Member

City:
    Montreal, QC
    From Toronto to Montreal!

Hello everyone!
    I also just moved to Montreal from Toronto about a week ago. This city is gorgeous! I moved here for work with my fiance, and I'm totally looking to meet people, and explore this city. My french speaking is very poor, but my comprehension is decent. I am definitely trying to learn some french. We are in our late 20s/early 30s.

would love to meet you guys!

-Sim

15. pouria83

pouria83 New Member

City:
    montreal
    hi everyone my name is pouria and i arrived in montreal 8 months ago since then i am alone if anybody interested hanging out contact me i am dying to have a friend

16. neji

neji New Member

Hi everyone,

my name is Jean and i like to make new friend to hang out. I speak french and some english. Men or woman it doesn t matter. I am 33 and I study part time and work.

17. charliemtl

charliemtl New Member

City:
    Montreal
    Hi,

My name is Charlie. I'm 34 years old. I just move back to Montreal a few from the United States a few weeks ago. Montreal has changed so much since I left. Most of my old friends have moved away and I really want to make new friends. I'm not really into clubbing. I would just like to go out to a movie, museum, have coffee, or anything just to get out of the house. Nothing really crazy.

18. angiemariee

angiemariee New Member

City:
    DDO, Montreal
    hi

hello my name is angela. i live in DDO, in montreal.
    im a 24 yr old engaged mother of 1 to a 3 month year old boy.
    im looking for friendship. :) other mothers would be ideal i guess. the days as a stay at home mom at the moment can get lonely.
    email me if you want angiemariee@hotmail.com

19. Alison2

Alison2 New Member

City:
    Montreal
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi everyone. I am from toronto. I moved here 1 and a half years ago for grad school. I made in school, but it seems that my closest friends will be moving away soon for school and work. I am also recently out of a long-term relationship, a relationship which probably kept me from meeting more people while living here. I am mid-thirties but younger at heart. In fact, most people think that i am 10 years younger when they meet me. I am looking to meet new friends here as i would like to stick around in montreal after finishing my degree. Music, film, coffee, cycling, finding great restaurants... Anything goes.

Alison

20. Cris80

Cris80 New Member

City:
    Laval
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English, French
    Hello everyone,
    my name is cris and i am 30 years old (moved to montreal 5 years ago). I didn’t get to make many friends because i was either in school, working or doing both.

I am looking to make friends who might be interested in movies, art , museums, festivals, any outdoor activities or just coffee. My french isn’t great but i manage.

You can reach me at algocalmin4all@yahoo.com (or regular forum mail).