Forum France

Forum of expats in France: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Help With Finding School and Cleaner Neighborhood to Live in

Discussion in 'France' started by greensustainer, Aug 17, 2010.

1. greensustainer

greensustainer New Member

Living In:
    France
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi there,

husband just got a job in paris, and we moved out here already, but we're not expats, as he got hired on directly by the company. We're temporarily staying in a hotel, until they can find us a temp apt. But the time for school is nearing and we really can use some help!

Son is 6.5 years old and was speech delayed, but now talks pretty normal, except for a few grammatical mistakes that he still continues to make. We are looking for any affordable (trying to stay under 12,000 e a year max) bilingual school or even possibly a good regular french school, as i've read that it may be best to just immerse the children as young as possible.

We're staying in paris, but during the week i've been here, i've realized that paris is a little dirtier than what i expected. I'm not used to walking everywhere and having cigarette smoke blown into my face every 10 steps. Or having to watch out for dog poop everywhere. I'm just thinking that maybe the suburbs would be better for us, since i don't really see anywhere for my son to ride his bike, and am not sure if i want him to grow up in the city. Unless there are districts here in paris that i haven't visited and are more family friendly??? (and still fit into our budget??)

reading other threads, west of paris seems to keep coming up, but can anyone tell me where?? Specific names of towns/cities/areas? We are looking to spend max 1500 e on rent for a 2 bedroom, and of course less would be better. Is there anywhere also in/near the suburbs easily accessible to transportation into the city, so my husband does not have to commute a lot?

Finally, i'm really into organics, so i was thinking that the areas where they have expats already would have this more readily available to me....or farmer's markets....do any areas like this even exist?

Thanks for any help!

Edit: when i mentioned "suburbs," i do not mean too isolated, as i'm really more of a city girl, but just want my son to grow up like i did.

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    As far as schools, I perused the Easy Expat guide for Paris on International Schools (http://www.easyexpat.com/en/paris/schoo ... chools.htm) & came across:

American School of Paris
    41 rue Pasteur 92210 SAINT CLOUD
    Tel: +33 (0)1 41 12 82 82

- British School of Paris
    38, quai de l’Ecluse 78290 CROISSY-SUR-SEINE
    Tel: +33 (0)1 34 80 45 94/96

- Ecole Active Bilingue Jeannine Manuel
    Ecole Internationale de Paris
    Primary, Junior and Senior High School
    70, rue du Théâtre, 75015 Paris
    Tel : +33 (0)1.44.37.00.80
    Site : http://www.eabjm.com

Primary School
    15, rue Edgar Faure, 75015 Paris
    141, avenue de Suffren, 75007 Paris

Admissions Office
    Tel : +33 (0)1.44.37.00.76
    E-mail : bureaudesadmissions@eabjm.com

- International School of Paris
    6, rue Beethoven 75016 PARIS
    Tel: 33.1.42.24.09.54
    Fax: 33. 1.45.27.15.93
    Email: info@isparis.edu

- Lycee International de Saint Germain en Laye
    230 rue du Fer-à-Cheval 78104 SAINT-GERMAIN-EN-LAYE
    Tel: +33 (0)1 34 51 74 85

- Marymount School
    72, bd de la Saussaye 92200 NEUILLY SUR SEINE
    Tel: +33 (0)1 46 24 10 51

- United Nations Nursery School
    Association Paris 40 rue de Guerin 75016 PARIS
    Tel: +33 (0)1 45 27 20 24
    (international bilingual school for children 2-6; summer school in July)

- Ecole Internationale Malherbe
    19 rue du 11 Novembre
    78110 Le Vésinet
    principal@ecole-malherbe.com
    (British program with English teachers )

Unfortunately, I don't have personal experience with these schools- but hope this info might be helpful. Best of luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ecrivaine

Ecrivaine Active Member

City:
    Chicago
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, un peu de Français
    I don't have personal experience with Paris, but from what I understand, some of the suburbs are less than desirable. It seems that in many ways suburbs in Paris work opposite than how they do in the United States, where most suburbs are more affluent than many areas of the city. Some of the suburbs around Paris especially are very rough, from what my French friends tell me. I would consider using a real estate consultant or whatever they're called in France, LOL, rather than going out on your own.

4. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    It depends on the suburb, talking about the North-East (boooooo :thumbdown: ) can be very different from the South-West (aaaaaaaaah :thumbup: ), like the Bronx and Brooklyn or the New jersey.