Forum Italy

Forum of expats in Italy: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN HELP IN ITALY PLEASE :)

Discussion in 'Italy' started by GigiAndretti, May 31, 2005.

1. GigiAndretti

GigiAndretti New Member

City:
    ITALY
    HI All...
    Great work you are doing here. I have seen a lot of good questions answered here and am hoping someone can help me too :)

I am a NON-EU citizan (ASIAN), and I have a Polish fiance from the past 3 years. Last year we finally decided we will settle in Europe. So I came to Italy in october and am doing my PhD (I have good ties in Italy as I did my masters degree here in 1996, and have a lot of friends etc). I have got a resident permit (permesso di soggiorno) and doing well.

Now my fiance has moved in here in Italy with me since Janruary. SHe is a masters in economics and both of us now are starting a leather goods trade between Asia and Poland and Italy. We are planning to settle down in Italy permanantly as it is a place both of really feel comfortable and our business will do good here.

Well, after the background, here comes my questions :)

Lidia and I are planning to get married this december. The question is:
    Where should we do it? Should we marry in Poland, or in Italy? Can I get permanent resident in Italy because of her? After my PhD, I would like to stay in Italy, will it be helpful to marry an EU citizan and try to become a permanent resident based on that? And she being Polish,(new member state) is that possible? I have found out that marrying in Poland really doesnt help. It is a much more long process.. And we dont want to stay in Poland. So I am not trying to get Polish residence. But do you think I should do that before thinking of Italy? Is it easier to travel to places such as England and ireland (I have a sister there and even though have residence in Italy, still need visas.. I can only travel freely in Schengen)

Pleas ask me more questions if it can help answering my questions :) I would love to help you help me ;)

Thank you all!

2. eva-

eva- Member

Gigi - I don't know the answer to your question, though the people in this forum are very smart and very nice. I'm sure someone will give you helpful information.

There is a website that specializes in immigration issues for foreigners in Italy. They also have a very good forum and I think you can find many answers there. The address is www.stranieriinitalia.com.

Best regards and good luck!

EVa