Forum Singapore

Forum of expats in Singapore: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Flat or House: How to Rent in Singapore

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by texkourgan, Jun 24, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Hello!

One of the first things to do when settling in Singapore is to find a home. In order to rent a flat/apartment or house you should familiarize yourself with the area, determine where you want to live, and evaluate what you need. Consider access to shops, schools, transport, and work.

If you have already been through the process of selecting a home in Singapore , you can provide valuable advice on how and why you selected your home, and provide tips for people moving to your area.

How did you find your accommodation? Estate agent or classifieds? Did you use a website? Or did you find your place through friends or word-of-mouth? What do you recommend?

Was it quick to find or did it take a long time? What are the essential points you considered (transport, schools, shops… etc).

How much is the average price of accommodation? What are the costs involved for renting? Do you need a deposit? Guarantees?

What are the formalities and the contract requirements in Singapore ? Are there important clauses members should consider? Is there an inventory? What are the conditions for leaving or giving notice?

Please offer your advice or questions! This is a tricky step in moving abroad and personal advice, mistakes to avoid and things to consider are extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. aqsa

aqsa New Member

Living In:
    Singapore
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    english
    Hello guys!!! want to share my experience in singapore with you If you are looking for an apartment or room wants to rent out your place , you might want to check out PlaceMatch Singapore. Posting an ad is Free and I found it to be useful in finding my place.

Hope that helps :)

Cheers, Aqsa Rao

3. glow1984

glow1984 New Member

City:
    Singapore
    Living In:
    Singapore
    Nationality:
    Singaporean (SG)
    Languages:
    English
    It's easy enough to find properties to rent on 99.co, Krib or Propertyguru. Talk to the agent marketing the place, arrange for a viewing, and if you like it, make an offer to rent. You'll have to draft a formal letter of intent to make this offer.

The agent will return with a tenancy agreement to sign, in which you agree on the conditions of lease and the date to move in. On the day itself, record the condition of the place and document any problems with the place. You'll need to return the property in the same condition as it was in.

There's more details and the documentation templates available here: Tenant's guide to renting

4. timsg

timsg New Member

Living In:
    Singapore
    Nationality:
    Singaporean (SG)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi,

I moved back to Singapore twice and one of the hardest things about moving was finding an apartment in Singapore while being in another continent. It's really hard to do without hiring an agent because no one has time to record good videos of apartment visits and finding a good property agent who knows the area well and is willing to spend the time to do Skype visits is hard. If you are looking for an apartment in Singapore while being abroad, you probably know what I mean.

This is why my friend and I decided to build https://zenestate.sg during our free time. It is a real estate agent search engine and it's entirely free. We hope our website can help a few persons here :)

We are also thinking about building a "Singapore district comparator" to help people solve one of the problems stated in this post: "determine where you want to live". If you like the idea, please let us know.

Don't hesitate to contact us (https://www.zenestate.sg/contactUs) if you need information about specific districts in Singapore or if you need to find a real estate agent.

Thanks,
    Tim

5. sanc

sanc New Member

City:
    Singapore
    Living In:
    Singapore
    Nationality:
    Spanish (ES)
    Languages:
    English, Spanish
    #5 sanc, May 7, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2018
  6. CPMT

CPMT New Member

City:
    Singapore
    Living In:
    Singapore
    Nationality:
    Singaporean (SG)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi there, in Singapore, there are few steps to take note when you rent a property, in my opinion, these are the 8 steps you should be taking when renting.

1. Search for units to rent
    2. Ensure that you have got a good rental rate
    3. View the property
    4. Draft a letter of Intent and pay the good faith deposit
    5. Signing the tenancy agreement
    6. Paying of the rental stamp duty
    7. Do an inventory check to ensure all things are in place & order
    8. Lastly, you can arrange to move in!

I have gotten these tips from a renowned Singapore online classifieds marketplace blog, where they do provide tips and advise on how to rent/buy or sell. Do check it out! Carousell Property - Find homes on Carousell