Forum USA

Forum of expats in the USA: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN First timer in need of advice with moving to live/work in US

Discussion in 'USA' started by tommymuldy, Sep 9, 2007.

1. tommymuldy

tommymuldy New Member

Hello All,

Great site and I have really enjoyed having a look around trying to get information on my proposed move to the US.

I currently work in Media Sales running an advertising team and have just got back from a 3,700 mile road trip across the States, during which I have decided I want to up sticks and move over there. Many reasons for this which I won't bore everyone with. but I have set myself a deadline of my 31st birthday to get over there (which gives me about 6 months).

My plan is to carry on working in media, which means my best bet for employment is in either New York or Chicago, both of which I absolutely loved while travelling round.

The problem I have is obviously the Visa situation (I don't have a degree but have been working in my industry from 12 years which I think is the timeperiod considered to be the equivalent). I have no direct relations who are American, although my father has worked for the US Government for some 25 years which I hope will count for me but this isn't a "gimme".

What I need help with (and I hope someone can help me who reads this) is how to execute my plan. I have contacted a few employment agents in the US who have told me that it is possible to line a job up while I am still in the UK but that I would have more chance moving over, setting up and then job hunting then. Do people think this is a good idea? I have money to keep me going for 3 months so that isn'ttoo much of a problem.

The second question I have is would I be able to sort out a Visa (obviously with the assistance of the employer) while I am in the States, or do I have to leave the country and go back? The recruitment agents seemed to think I can but I am conscious they are not immigration experts so any help and advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and all the best,
    Tom