Forum Germany

Forum of expats in Germany: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Is family considered German -East Prussia

Discussion in 'Germany' started by rbuonafede, Jul 22, 2013.

1. rbuonafede

rbuonafede New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    english
    I am new to the genealogy side of things and researching my family history. I have some family that was born in East Prussia and listed their nationality as German, spoke German etc. The town (Rosenburg) is now Susz Poland can I claim German citizenship through this line or would that line just be considered "Prussian". Sorry for my ignorance but the Prussian aspect confuses me just a bit.

Thank you.

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    This does get confusing as borders change and time goes by. However, I do believe you would still apply for German citizenship versus Polish. Ho are you related to your Prussian relatives? Anyone else have experience or can clarify?

In general (via http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/dual_nationality/),
    I would also recommend consulting the German Federal Foreign Office: http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/EN/Infoservice/FAQ/Staatsangehoerigkeit/Uebersicht.html?nn=479790

The real place to start is with the closest embassy. Contact them and they can help guide you through the paperwork and process. You can also consult an immigration layer, but obviously this is a more expensive option.

For more options in applying for citizenship, visas, etc. - check out out Expat Guides, like the Guide to Berlin. Please - if anyone else has experience - share!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...