Forum Puerto Rico

Forum of expats in Puerto Rico: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Cost of living in Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico' started by EasyExpat, Mar 18, 2010.

1. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Hi,

We are interested by your feedback on the cost of living in Puerto Rico. With Easy Expat we have already a useful tool to compare the cost of living in some major cities in the world.

However we do not cover all the countries, nor all the destination where you can eventually decide to expatriate.

If you live in Puerto Rico, you can help the community and give information about the cost of living in Puerto Rico. You might be able to give indication and comments on the needs:
    :arrow: Food (what to expect, what to find).
    :arrow: Accommodation price in Puerto Rico. Rent?
    :arrow: Transport (public transport but also the necessity and cost of using a car)
    :arrow: Services (gaz, electricity, telephone, internet...)
    :arrow: Tax
    :arrow: Health, Education
    :arrow: Entertainment (restaurant, cinema, theatre...)
    :arrow: ... etc.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience with the community :cool:

2. sunkissedbliss

sunkissedbliss New Member

Living In:
    Puerto Rico
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    I have been living in PR for over a year and an half and will share any information I have for those interested in living here. We are military, so our situation is a bit different in terms of moving expenses, taxes, etc., but I can comment on general cost of living, etc.

Housing here is a bit cheaper compared to the States, depending on where you are looking. We live on the NW area of the island, and you can find housing in any price range. You can find cheap studio apt. near the beach, weekly rentals, monthly, beach houses, etc. The best place to look for housing is http://www.clasificadosonline.com/
    This is bigger than craigslist here, although that too is catching on. Places by the beach can be affordable on this side of the island, which is different from the States, in a great way! As for San Juan, I am sure it is more expensive in terms of everything then over here on our side.

Groceries are a big problem here. It can be difficult to find all you are use to in the States, especially produce. You would think that a tropical island would have amazing fruits and veggies, but it can be hard to find a ripe tomato on this island. You can find tropical fruit on the side of the rode, to buy or pick! Pinas (pineapples) are amazing here, as are the mangos. Groceries are more expensive, especially frozen food. You get use to the grocery stores here, but it is a big adjustment. When I go back stateside, I literally stare in amazement at produce sections!

Any other questions? I would be happy to answer them for you.

3. angelshaven

angelshaven New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    english
    Hi,
    I am considering moving to Puerto Rico. I tried to e-mail you but was not able to. Are you familiar with any of the areas on the island or the cost of housing? Also I was wondering if there are many English speaking people on the island since I do not know the Spanish language. Thank you for your time.