Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Born in Poland - Emigrated to Canada - Facts/Need help

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by hrvatwithapolak, Jan 17, 2015.

1. hrvatwithapolak

hrvatwithapolak New Member

City:
    New Westminster
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Croatian (HR)
    Languages:
    Hrvatski, English
    Hello,

I'm writing this on behalf of my better half so with that being said if you use phrases like "learn to use search" or "this has already been asked" i won't be offended but if you choose to answer my question i will politely, and directly thank you. That i promise you.

Now, on to the reason for my posting. My girlfriend would like to renew her passport (which has long since expired) and since I recently gained my own EU citizenship (i'm a croat if thats not immediately obvious) i'm very keen on helping her out. The plain facts are as follows:

-She has her old paszport (the one that says polska rzeczpospolita ludowa) and i can't seem to find an expiry date on it.
    - She came in 1991 so she definitely lived there for quite some time
    - She was born in Gdansk (i mention this in case there's any voivodeship suggestions that relate to passport renewal for gdansk)
    - She has her odpis skrócony aktu urodzenia (the original)
    - She knows her PESEL (i think this is super important so authorities can validate who she is?)

In my mind, since her paszport is old, she'd likely need a certified copy of her current passport, and a translated copy of her current passport to prove her identity. But, i feel like i'm missing something here, does anyone think she'll need to do the confirmation of citizenship proceedings or can she pass go and collect $200 (monopoly reference).

Thanks in advance for your advice. Moderators thank you as well in advance for reviewing my post and please do let me know if this is not the correct section of the forum, or if i'd have better luck in a different section of the forum.

-M

2. gjene

gjene Well-Known Member

City:
    London, Ontario
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English
    I could be wrong myself and I hope someone more informed is keeping tabs on the site. First she needs to gather any and all of her original documents issued to her before she left Poland. Then check the web to find out where the nearest consulate or embassy is to where she lives. The consulate or embassy will inform her what she needs or is missing. After the paperwork has been filled in and sent off, it will be more than a month or so before she gets her new passport. Make sure she gets passport photos prior to visiting the consulate or embassy and they have been signed by someone who knows her.

3. hrvatwithapolak

hrvatwithapolak New Member

City:
    New Westminster
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Croatian (HR)
    Languages:
    Hrvatski, English
    First of all thank you for your response! I thought so as well, but when we went to the Consul General of the Republic of Poland in Vancouver, it was definitely not a pleasant experience. We brought all of the above, but they insisted that she needed to do the confirmation of polish citizenship proceedings which didn't make sense to her and was discouraging. I agree, and i think you're right that it would probably take a while to get it through a consulate which is why we're going right to the town where she was born to figure it out.