Thanks to its geography, Perú has a lot to offer to those looking for sports activities. The country isn't only for sightseeing; there are many sports you can practise, in some of the most idyllic settings imaginable.
Stadiums in Lima
In Lima there are different main stadiums regarding the sport that takes place in it.
- Estadio Monumental U: Estadio Monumental "U" is where Club Universitario has its matches. Occasionally, it also hosts the Peruvian national team games.
- Estadio Nacional del Perú: This is the Peruvian national team's venue.
- Jockey Club Monterrico: It is the most important horse racing facility in Lima since 1960. It is operated by the Jockey Club del Perú, and it has a dirt racetrack with a one-mile inside track for turf racing.
- Centro de Convenciones Agua Viva (former Coliseo Amauta): It is the biggest multi-use indoor space in the whole country. It homes up to 20,000 people. Regularly it hosts basketball and volleyball matches, but it sometimes homes evangelic events and church services on Sunday.
- Plaza de Acho (bull stadium): It is the premier bullring in Lima. It is the oldest bullring in the Americas (1766) and the second oldest in the world after La Maestranza, in Spain.
Sporting Events in Lima
- Caminos del Inca Rally: This annual car rally event leads the drivers from desert terrain to steep and winding high mountain roads of over 4500 m / 15.000 ft.
- Rally Dakar: Rally Dakar is annually held in South America. In 2019, and for the very first time, Dakar will be run on a new loop rally-route entirely in Perú, with the start and finish in Lima.
- XVIII PanAmerican Games (Spanish: Juegos Panamericanos de 2019): Similar with the International Olympic Games, they are a multi-sport event governed by the PanAmerican Sports Organization (PASO).
Gyms in Lima
Joining a gym in Lima is a great way to stay fit and expand your social circle.
On Gimnasios.com.pe you will find a complete list of gyms in Lima, information about their facilities and a comparison of their pros and cons.
You can also share feedback on your favourite facilities in our Lima forum.