Shop-alcoholics will rejoice in Vienna. This city offers trendy shopping districts like the Mariahilfer strasse between the centre of the city and Westbahnhof. The other popular shopping area is the Old City where you can find authentic Austrian delicacies and inspiring boutiques and fashion accessories.
The major shopping areas in Vienna are:
- Mariahilfer strasse: This is the city's liveliest shoping district and consists of a mile long street crammed with trendy shops selling everythting from designer clothes to furnishings. Make sure you explore the side streets for out of the ordinary fare.
- Karntner Strasse, Graben: This is where the elegant jewellery stores and pricey boutiques are located.
- Kohlmarkt: An up-market shopping area with the likes of Gucci and Channel shops.
There are also a number of outdoor markets, antique shops, department stores and local specialties. For a more detailed inspection of the shopping scene in Vienna, click here
Super and Hypermarkets
There are a number of supermarkets dotted across Vienna. It's a good idea to pop into a Viennese supermarket to pick up a drink or snacks as they are often much cheaper than cafes and souvenir shops. Some of the more popular supermarkets in the city are below.
- Merkur: Large, clean and well stocked with top quality food
- Billa: Good value though some of the stores could do with a facelift
- Spar: “Interspar” is the large version, “Eurospar” the next version down and “Spar” is the smallest. You’ll also find “Gourmet Spar”, which is more upmarket in its selection and presentation.
- Hofer: Owned by Germany's Aldi and similar in style.
In keeping with shopping enthusiasts needs, malls are commonplace in Vienna. Below are some of the most famous malls in this city:
- Ringstrassen Gallerien: Well known for its luxorious boutiques, souvenir shops and food stores
- Gasometer: Large department store in the old gas towers with renown designer interiors and fashion stores
- Generali-Center: Vienna's biggest shopping centre
- Gerngross: Fashion boutiques compete with electronic stores, restaurants and cafes in this popular mall
- Lugner City: Has a treasure trove of big fashion labels like Dolce & Gabbana, Burberry, Ralph Lauren etc
- Steffl: An impressive mall on the famous Karnter Strasse. Has interesting boutiques, cafes and a nice rooftop restaurant
to find out more.