Forum Shanghai

Forum of expats in Shanghai: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice New Members in Shanghai: Welcome

Discussion in 'Shanghai' started by texkourgan, Aug 28, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Hello and welcome to EasyExpat.com!

This topic is specifically dedicated to new comers in Shanghai. We invite you to introduce yourself here!

Why have you come here? Is it for internship? Studies? A job? Or simply in order to discover new lands?

If you have already secured a job, how did you find it? How long do you think you will stay in Shanghai?

How was your move? How did you settle into your new city? What was the easiest thing / the most difficult to adapt to?

The guide to Shanghai is the perfect resource to give you an overview of life abroad. Check it out and ask questions here on the forum. Thanks in advance for your answers and here’s to a good discussion! :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SpaMass!

SpaMass! New Member

City:
    Spiennes
    Living In:
    Belgium
    Nationality:
    Belgian (BE)
    Languages:
    English, French, Italian
    Belgian coming to Shangaï !

Hi everyone,

My name is Massimo, I'm 25 and I'll be in Shangaï for 3 months starting mid-september !
    I'm excited to come and see this amazing city, I'll be there for an internship and I might consider staying if I can get the (promised but not 100% sure) permanent contract desired.

I'd like to meet people there and if by any chance, a Belgian citizen is within you guys I'd want to ask a couple of questions about the admnistrative part of moving there...

Thanks already for your help !

Massimo

3. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SpaMass!

SpaMass! New Member

City:
    Spiennes
    Living In:
    Belgium
    Nationality:
    Belgian (BE)
    Languages:
    English, French, Italian
    Re: Belgian coming to Shangaï !

Thanks for the answer ! :) I'll check those out.

5. Adrian Cahill

Adrian Cahill Member

City:
    Shanghai
    Living In:
    China
    Nationality:
    Australian (AU)
    Languages:
    English, Chinese
    Hi! I'm Adrian. I've been involved in Training and one on one coaching for some time.
    I live in Shanghai near Madang Lu. I love Shanghai so much. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would still be here, however maybe just in a better apartment ;-).
    We run the occasional NLP and Coaching Courses. If you ever need a trainer or want to learn about these subjects, let me know. We have a fantastic community here. For those coming to Shanghai, your going to love it!!!
    Wechat: Adriannqld Website: Adriancahill.com

6. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Hello Adrian and welcome to EasyExpat.com. Don't forget that if you want to promote specific events your can always use our classifieds section :thumbup:

7. LucretiaSeeks

LucretiaSeeks New Member

City:
    Boston
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    LucretiaSeeks from Boston, MA, USA

I am planning a move to Shanghai in late July for a job teaching math, visa-willing, and I could not be more thrilled - although to be fair, there's some trepidation too!

I began the needed vaccinations last week. Owie. Two to go, but I'm getting everything for southeast Asia also.

So far, the most ridiculous part of the visa application process was my diploma confusion. The person helping with my visa was so funny - she must be stressed beyond comprehension. After I sent her the image of my diploma, she responds saying that the name of my college on my CV does not match the diploma and that my diploma doesn't have a date. I explained that the document is in Latin and the date is indeed there, only it's in Roman numerals. (Now I'm worried we don't teach those anymore... :lol: )

In any case, she translated my Latin to characters. Who knows what it will say in the end?! I only hope my name, degree, and the date remain intact - the rest was so much fluff, anyhow.

I'm usually comfortable with travel, but I've not yet visited Asia. I've been browsing the 'net and reading blog after blog of advice and lists and do's and do not's - and it's just overwhelming and anxiety-inducing. And trying to learn Mandarin on my own ... no joy whatsoever. :oops:

I hope to find some one-on-one instruction before I leave Boston. Or maybe a crash course upon arrival...

If I understand correctly, work provides an apartment a short bus ride away in the Changning district. I have only the vaguest ideas about most of my grand adventure, but I have dozens of cool ideas of things to do and places to go, some of which are bound to come to pass. Right? Right.

Insomnia struck last night, so I noticed that my school has published its 2016-2017 calendar. I added all of the important dates to my personal calendar, counted instruction days, drafted a couple of syllabi (even though it's still unclear to me which math levels will be mine). For the holidays, I added ideas of places to visit ... I'm pretty sure I'll need to stay ten years to accomplish it all, but it's not as if I'm doing anything else.

I'm looking forward to meeting some of you, learning from you, and exchanging ideas!

Warm regards,
    cLS

P.S. I've been keeping a blog/diary off-and-on which I hope to use more regularly to record my travel adventures. It's at lucretiaseeks dot wordpress dot com if anyone is interested ... I felt weird about linking my Facebook straightaway to a new forum. Maybe later. :cool:

8. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
  9. MarcMonroe

MarcMonroe New Member

City:
    Detroit
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi all,
    I am in Shanghai for the work, and I would like to discover people here.
    I like to cook, bike, rock music and so on.

Please fell free to contact me :)

10. nathanhorn

nathanhorn New Member

City:
    Keerbergen
    Living In:
    Belgium
    Nationality:
    Belgian (BE)
    Languages:
    Engels, Nederlands, Frans, Hebreeuws
    Hi Everyone,

I'm Nathan, 24, from Belgium and I've been in Shanghai for about a year and a half.
    I'm currently in between jobs and so far what I've done was:

• Graduated from Hult international business school in Shanghai/San Francisco
    • Worked for a social media app company as the marketing communications manager
    • Worked for a gaming app company as the marketing strategy manager
    • Director at "Storm&Cloud LTD" which is an online hub I founded for people in Europe to find and buy premium design home and tech accessories.
    • Founded my own news website
    • Founded my own travel blog
    • Created a YouTube consumer electronics review channel

And I'm super passionate about business development and marketing (as you can see)

I'm in Shanghai with my girlfriend, who works here and comes from Bruges, Belgium

If you have a job opening you know of that seems suitable for me then please contact me as I'd love to take you up for a chat!

Greets!

Nathan

11. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Hello,
    You should post your CV in our specific section:
    http://www.easyexpat.com/en/job-cv/china.htm

Best of luck :thumbup: