Forum United Kingdom

Forum of expats in the United Kingdom: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Filipina-Italian (Residing in UK) EEA Family Permit

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Ria14th, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Ria14th

Ria14th Member

City:
    Dubai
    Living In:
    United Arab Emirates
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi,

I am Filipina resident in UAE Dubai, my fiance is Italian, working in the UK for more than a year now.

We are in a long distance relationship for almost a year
    (since February 2018). We have seen each other in a person for like (5-10 days stay here in UAE every visit) 4 times because he visited me here in Dubai, almost every 2 months he was coming here.

We are getting married in March 2019.

Right after the marriage, we are planning to apply for EEA Family permit.

Is there any conflict if we are going to apply EEA immediately?

2. joneeboy74

joneeboy74 Well-Known Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Irish (IE)
    Languages:
    english,french
    Nobody has replied to you as yet, so I will give you a little news.
    It seems you are not aware that the UK is leaving the European Union at the end of March, 2019, so after that, there will be no EEA family permit for the UK. However the UK has stated that employed EU citizens and their families will still be able to stay after the end of March, if they apply for and are granted 'settlement status'. My advice is that if as you say, you will marry in March, you could still apply for, and get a Family permit if you can in time before the end of March, and enter the UK before then end of March too.. EEA applications are supposed to be actioned 'without delay', but in practice, it takes a few days in most places, so I hope your marriage is early enough in March to get it processed, because after that time, what will then apply is a bit vague, meaning there is a trial 'beta' process ongoing in the UK, but beyond that is as yet not known.

Application can be originated on line. The link is as follows. Good luck!
    Visa4UK - Welcome to Visa4UK

3. Ria14th

Ria14th Member

City:
    Dubai
    Living In:
    United Arab Emirates
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi,

Thanks so much. We gonna get married end of March 2019. My Italian boyfriend already applied for pre-settlement valid for 5 years.
    The website is clear. No change for eea family member for now. For people that are already there.

4. joneeboy74

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Irish (IE)
    Languages:
    english,french

5. joneeboy74

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Irish (IE)
    Languages:
    english,french
    That's great. You won't have any problem either. I am Irish, permanent resident in UK.. My Chinese wife has applied too, and got the confirmation back. She has a current UK for EEA family member, but that won't be valid after UK leaves EU.
    For your information, according to UK gov. website, the pre-settlement and settlement status will not provide any written paper or card. Proof of status will be on gov. website and accessed any time by using password. That is strange because I can see a problem, and intend asking our local member of parliament to demand explanation from the immigration minister. It will take few days to get reply. It might affect you to, so I will explain.
    Imagine you are at an airport, say, Ninoy Aquino, going to UK, and are at the check in counter. You give your ticket, and they ask for passport. Thy look at passport and ask you, where is your visa to enter UK. Nothing in passport!You tell them its not needed because you have settlement and its on UK government website. You can't show them because no signal. What you think they will say?

6. Ria14th

Ria14th Member

City:
    Dubai
    Living In:
    United Arab Emirates
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi

My fiance sent me this.

Attached Files:

7. joneeboy74

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Irish (IE)
    Languages:
    english,french
    Hi
    Good. I did find that on the website too, so of course you should be OK. Where will you marry?
    I have not yet found anyone who already received settled status, so have no idea how long the process takes, and we need to book overseas trips. Can you ask your fiancé when he applied and also when settled status is/was received, and post when you know?
    Thanks

8. Ria14th

Ria14th Member

City:
    Dubai
    Living In:
    United Arab Emirates
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English
    He applied last November 2018, he said that it was a Beta Testing, he's working in University of Liverpool btw. He received the status after two weeks.

9. joneeboy74

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Irish (IE)
    Languages:
    english,french
    That's good. I don't have to apply myself because Irish citizens don't need to due to an earlier bilateral agreement dating back to 1949. My wife does, and its a pain to prove that she has been living here for 5 years, because we never expected we would need to save documents for that period. It doesn't help that the UK stopped stamping foreign passports of people departing UK, and only stamps them on arrival.
    If you intend to marry in Phil., you will have a few hoops to get through.I lived there for 15 years.
    Regards

10. Ria14th

Ria14th Member

City:
    Dubai
    Living In:
    United Arab Emirates
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English
    Wow nice to hear that you lived in Philippines more than a decade. ☺️ actually I'm residing in Dubai,UAE. We'll get married here and will apply also EEA family permit here. So it's more easier to get visa approval than in Philippines I think.

11. joneeboy74

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Irish (IE)
    Languages:
    english,french
    It's good that you will marry in Dubai, because it will certainly be easier to obtain an EEA family permit from there. The EU requirement is that processing of EEA documents is to be 'without delay'. In many countries processing is the same day, at the Embassy or consulate. Unfortunately, that is not the case in Manila, because as you will be aware, all applications have to go through that agency. So it takes several days at least.