Forum Paris

Forum of expats in Paris: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Will we survive in Paris?

Discussion in 'Paris' started by wormies, May 31, 2011.

1. wormies

wormies New Member

Living In:
    Peru
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English, Spanish, Polish, French
    I apologize in advance if this subject has been beaten to death but I searched the forums and couldn't find too much.

I am currently trying to relocate to Europe and I have been offered a job in Paris that pays 2,200 euros net plus benefits. I will be moving with my fiance, who will not be able to work for at least 3 months, and I'm wondering if this will be enough for us to survive on?

We're not looking for a big apartment (I lived in Paris years ago for a short time so I know more or less what we can expect in terms of size just not really price) or to have some extravagant life. We'd like to be able to buy groceries without pinching pennies, go out every once in a while, pay for my fiance to take French classes, and be able to travel to Poland to see my family once or twice a year. Ideally my fiance will be able to get some sort of job after about 6 months but it probably won't be easy or be a great job as he doesn't speak French (yet).

I'm worried that this salary seems incredibly low...any advice or direction is greatly appreciated.

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Hi and welcome on EasyExpat,

What are the benefits ?
    With 2200 nets you will have to remove the income tax (maybe 20 ? it is just a guess as it all depends on the situation, the annual income etc).

Paris is expensive. But a second problem is due to the shortage of accommodation and the tenancy laws, landlords tend to be very difficult. In the centre you can find a 21 m2 newly decorated and furnished for 800euros/month and in order to be accepted you need to earn net 3 times the rent (i.e. 2400€). You might be able to find 30 m2 for 1/3 of your Net less central and definitely more in the outskirts of Paris. Finding the right accommodation will be probably the most difficult.
    You can find more information in our guide for expats in Paris in our article on finding an accommodation or renting in Paris.

However 2200€ net is not low (but not high either) and you shouldn't have too much problem - while being a bit careful - for the first 6 months.

3. wormies

wormies New Member

Living In:
    Peru
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    Hi,

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply!

I am actually not sure of the benefits yet, we are still in negotiations but I should know by the end of next week. I guess before I even started negotiating I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't digging myself into a whole.

When you mean on the outskirts of Paris do you mean in the banlieue or do you just mean in one of the arrondissement a bit further out?

So you think, living fairly frugally, a couple could survive on 2200€/month?

4. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    I mean the "proche banlieue", for example Vanves, Villejuif, Clichy (you have the end of the metro still going there). And of course have a look in the 18th-19th-20th arrondissements that are "cheap".

I don't know what you mean by "frugally"; it depends of people. My concept of frugally is surely very different from the one of Victoria Beckham :D Bear in mind that the average wage in France is ~2200€/month...
    You can get more information also with our cost of living comparison.

5. wormies

wormies New Member

Living In:
    Peru
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    Hmm, I would prefer being in the city, I remember friends having a nice place in the 19th I believe.

True, frugally depends on the person but I guess based on what I put in my first post. I guess I'm glad you're not saying I'm crazy to attempt this, haha.

The cost of living comparison calculator doesn't quite work for me as I'm in Peru right now so costs are hardly comprable :)

6. phipes

phipes New Member

City:
    barcelona
    Living In:
    Spain
    Nationality:
    Swiss (CH)
    Languages:
    french, english español
    2200 in Paris is definitally not enough if you want to live decently.

7. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    It depends on what you are planning. What is the rent? Max must be 730€ so you have still ~1000€ per month for shopping and other things... looks enough to me.