Forum Immigration France

Forum of expats in Immigration France: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Which Visa is best when I have two options?

Discussion in 'Immigration France' started by RickJames, Aug 24, 2020.

1. RickJames

RickJames New Member

City:
    Washington DC
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Basic French, Basic Thai
    Hi-

My wife, who is French, and I currently live outside of Washington DC and we have decided to move to France in June of 2021. I work for a company with offices around the world and I have been working from home since March of 2020 (as many others have). I asked my boss if I could keep my current position and work in France and he has agreed to it (we already have one remote employee on our team in Germany and this works out well). But my boss said that I'll need to work out my own immigration as this is not a company-requested move.

So it seems that I could apply for a Long-Stay Visa (VLS-TS) or a Talent Passport based on the employment from the French office of my company. It also seems that I could apply for the Long-Stay Visa based on my wife being French. I believe both will allow me to work. Is there an advantage of citing one over the other? Is there an advantage of the Talent Passport over the VLS or vice versa?

Thanks!

2. RickJames

RickJames New Member

City:
    Washington DC
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Basic French, Basic Thai
    So I've answered my own question. In talking it through with my wife, I think the Spouse visa is smarter. As my wife put it "you'll probably be with me longer than you'll be with your company" so might as well get the spouse visa to avoid having any issues if something happens with your job. Yep, makes sense.

3. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Very wise woman! Thanks for sharing :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...