Forum South Africa

Forum of expats in South Africa: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN When the emergency actually happens

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by chickenruby, Jun 12, 2012.

1. chickenruby

chickenruby Member

City:
    pretoria
    Living In:
    South Africa
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    english
    Hubby and I have discussed at length exactly what constitutes an emergency in terms of flying back to the UK. We've debated, closed the circle, argued over what is important and now we find ourselves in the very situation, we don't know what to do.

My father has had a heart attack, he in in hospital, the best place, there is regular contact with my mother and sister, but there is no advice available.

'Do I fly home?' If I leave now, it'll be 11am wednesday morning before I get there.

Hubby says do what I feel I need to do, but for how long? If I fly out now and he makes a recovery, then a turn for the worse, how long do I keep returning for?

If I wait till this evening for the results from all the tests, I'll have missed tonights flight, then it will be 11am on thursday morning, I might be too late...or I could go tonight and he could be back home by the time I get there telling me 'that's your trouble, you always over react'

Anyone else been in a similar situation? How did you handle it? what decisions did you make? Is there anything you'd have done differently that you could help me with?

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    I am so sorry to hear about your troubles back home. This is something every expat worries about. We've never been tested in this way, and are similarly undecided about how we would proceed if the worst was to happen. I wish you and your family all the best.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Chickenruby's post made us think abut the precarious position many expats find themselves when there is an emergency in your native country. Wishing to address this issue, we created the post,
    "Expat Emergency: When Something Goes Wrong in the Homeland"

I hope this helps other expats facing a difficult decision and wish everyone the best in their expat adventures.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...