Forum USA

Forum of expats in the USA: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN What does a polish citizen need to marry an American citizen

Discussion in 'USA' started by Bluesview, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Bluesview

Bluesview New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi,

My fiancee is a Polish citizen living in Poland and she is coming to visit me in Texas, USA and we want to get married while she's here (2 months). Then, I will move to Poland where we will live. What is required for her (papers, translations) to get married in Dallas, Texas? From what I've read on the Dallas county website, it appears all she needs is her Polish passport. Is this correct? We will get copies of all the marriage papers so we can have the marriage recognized by the Polish government. Would it be wise to get the papers translated here or there?

Thanks in advance,
    Terry

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Indeed, by examining the Dallas County Clerk site it appears your fiance would just need her passport and you two would have to pay a fee (with the $60 state portion of the marriage license fee waived for couples who complete an approved premarital training course). This should be relatively straight forward.

You will receive an official copy of the certificate, but I don't know if you will receive multiple copies. You may want to ask the clerk's office directly.

As far as the translation, I assume it will be much easier to find a translator in Poland than in Texas. Make sure to use an approved agency. You may want to contact the closest polish embassy to find out what exact documents are going to be necessary. You should also check out the Expat guide to Warsaw and section on visas for an overview of moving abroad to Poland. Best of luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bluesview

Bluesview New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Thank you very much texkourgan for taking the time to reply to my post. I also appreciate that you included links. I will follow your example in the future. Great info and many thinks for your help.