Forum Barcelona

Forum of expats in Barcelona: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

  Search the whole website

  User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Visa Question: Relocating to Barcelona in May 2012

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by anikoshkin, Aug 20, 2011.

  1. anikoshkin

    anikoshkin New Member

    Aug 20, 2011
    Likes Received:
    Living In:
    Armenian (AM)
    Armenian, Russian, English,
    Hello everyone! I am new to this site so I apologize for the brevity of my message. I am planning on moving to Barcelona for about three months in May 2012. I have found a beautiful apartment that will be shared with a few others and a comfortable/convenient central location. While there, I plan on taking a few courses in language and the arts.
    I am aware that as a US citizen, I am allowed to stay in Spain for up to three months without a visa. I would be eligible to get a student visa however the classes I will be taking do not exceed a three month period. is my question:
    Is it possible to stay in Spain for three months without a visa, come back to the US for a short stay (1 week, let's say to visit family and so forth) then go back to Spain and begin the three month length of stay without a visa again?
    I know this sounds like I'm trying to trick the system but I do know how painfully difficult it is getting a visa nowadays in Spain and since I have not lived there yet I don't want to make any serious commitments. Thanks so much and I hope to hear from some of you!
  2. EasyExpat

    EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

    Feb 10, 2003
    Likes Received:
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    British (GB)
    English, Français
    In theory you should be able to renew the visa for a second period of 3 months (making a total of 6 months). If you have a problem renewing, you will be able to return to the US an re-apply for another visa (however the more you apply the more they might become suspicious :confused: ) Extending an existing visa is often the preferred choice.

    We have also a good news: this autumn we will publish a guide for expats in Barcelona. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter, and of course come back often to share your experience with the expat community.
Similar Threads Forum Date
✎ EN Get Schengen visa of other countries and travel to Spain Barcelona Sep 30, 2011

Share This Page