Forum Travel

Forum of expats Travel: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Travel to Gisborne

Discussion in 'Travel' started by JohnHocking, Oct 24, 2011.

1. JohnHocking

JohnHocking New Member

City:
    NY
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    english
    First city in the world to see the light of each new day, Gisborne offers one of the warmest climates in New Zealand. It was also the first place that Captain James Cook set foot ashore in 1769, whereupon he named the area Poverty Bay. When you fly into the region, you can get into a Budget car rental at Gisborne Airport, which will put you on the road for a great adventure.
    The stretch of rocky coast just up the road from Gisborne is one of the few areas in New Zealand which still welcomes freedom camping – where you can pitch a tent by the side of the road for free. For those who like a more refined experience, Gisborne also offers an abundance of local wineries that consistently win awards for some of the best wines in the country.
    The port city also provides local seafood delicacies at picturesque waterfront restaurants, and excellent surfing can be enjoyed at Gisborne’s Wainui beach.

2. marlon samual

marlon samual New Member

City:
    Jordan
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English
    This is a good place to stay if you want to be out of town and like a beach nearby. It's a couple of km out of Gisborne, but easy to find and only 50 yards to a long, very quiet sandy beach with safe surfing. The unit was very clean and had an extremely well equipped kitchen. There is a laundry and washing lines, always useful when you're travelling around, as well as a pool (not heated, but warmer than the ocean), play area for children with slide, see-saw and trampoline. Highly recommended!

3. Jack03

Jack03 New Member

City:
    NY
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    I am a student and I'm working on a fictional project about a fictional product which is sold and situated in the above 3 cities. I live in Europe so as you can imagine, I am not familiar with culture and sociology of residents in those cities.

I have some questions and I would be very grateful if you could help me answer them:

i) Are these cities not nice to live in? (According to statistics available online, the income level is quite low) What are these cities best known for?

ii) According to statistics online, these 3 cities have a high percentage of Maori residents. This is a ridiculously general question but what is Maori culture like? What do Maoris enjoy doing? What is the average lifestyle they lead? What is important to a Maori (ie. family life? )? Do Maoris in general place a lot of importance on luxury items such as premium chocolate or NZ$8 coffees or dining out?

iii) Are residents with European ancestry in those cities more patriotic than say ,those in Wellington? Or are they a little racist?

iv) What is your impression of someone from the above 3 cities? (i.e. when someone says she's from Essex, UK, you will immediately think of scooters, track suits, slutty girls etc.)

Thank you very much!