Forum Australia

Forum of expats in Australia: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Travel insurance, help!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by WanderingGirl, Mar 25, 2011.

1. WanderingGirl

WanderingGirl New Member

Living In:
    Australia
    Nationality:
    Australian (AU)
    Languages:
    english
    hey guys. i hope someone here can help me. i will be traveling abroad next month and i am looking for a good travel insurance. i have been browsing around but am still undecided what to get. i am kinda leaning towards nib, but i am also open with other travel insurance providers that are more affordable and have better coverage. hope you can help me! thank you!

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    You should consider where you are going, for how long, and your price range. I found a great article that covers the basics: http://www.travelinsurancereview.net/tr ... rance-101/

Here are the steps they recommend to decide on a company:
    "1. Determine what type of coverages you need
    These might include cancellation due to illness, being called in to work, losing your bags, missing a flight, crashing your rental car, getting sick and needing medical care, having an accident and needing a medical evacuation, etc.

2. Calculate your total trip cost
    For trip cancellation coverage, you will need to insure the total amount of pre-paid, non-refundable trip payments. This is the amount of money at risk if you need to cancel your trip.

3. Use a comparison site to find the best travel insurance
    There are several; but the easiest to use is http://www.squaremouth.com/. Enter your trip information, and their comparison engine will give you instant quotes from all major travel insurance companies.

4. Compare companies based on what coverage is important to you
    As you look over policies from the different companies, compare the coverage with what you determined you need. Every company and policy has different limits, so make sure you are comfortable with the amount.

5. Check the small print
    There are two sections to pay attention to. Benefits & Exclusions. The Benefits section will clearly describe the coverage you will receive. Do not make any assumptions here. Read it through. The Exclusions section will tell you clearly when the Benefits will NOT apply. Again, read this carefully.

6. When you find the right policy, use a comparison site to purchase the policy"

Hope that helps!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leila53

leila53 New Member

Living In:
    Australia
    Nationality:
    Australian (AU)
    Languages:
    English, French, Spanish
    You did not say how long you were going overseas. Costs vary depending on length of time and also countries visited. Also varies if you wish to work overseas. Depending on country you visit remember too that some travel insurances do NOT cover things like driving a private vehicle, only a rental car.

I have found that companies like Aussietravel Insurance were pretty good. Also Mondial Assist as they have representatives in many countries and are quite good with repatriation.

Cheers

4. lenkeh

lenkeh New Member

City:
    usa
    Living In:
    Angola
    Nationality:
    Angolan (AO)
    Languages:
    british english
    There are few damage and loss is devastating that can occur more heinous and hard to deal in order to provide the most comprehensive support.