Forum United Kingdom

Forum of expats in the United Kingdom: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice The Best Areas to Live in the UK

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by texkourgan, Jun 24, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    It can be difficult to find the best place to live in a new city. This is even more difficult for an expat who is not familiar with the country and culture. So where is the best place to live in the UK?

What do you look for in a neighborhood? What do different neighborhoods offer? What area would you recommend based on:
    - Schools
    - Transportation
    - Access to shops and groceries
    - Nightlife and Activities

Where do you live? What do you like about it? Are there any dangerous areas? Are some areas more affordable?

Thank you in advance for your contribution. This is a very common question for expats moving to the UK and your help is much appreciated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. JSmith

JSmith Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    I think when anyone planned a move to UK then s/he should do enough research on living. The cost of living in UK is very high and if you are moving with your family then you should live in a place where proper transportation and security is available.

3. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Good advice JSmith! Where do you recommend living in the UK? We provide information about where to live in our comprehensive Guide to London, but it is always helpful to have feedback from other expats and UK residents.

Also, you may like to contribute to the UK Cost of Living thread. This is a common question, and data from people who live in England is extremely helpful. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. james_harrison

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    There are lots of peaceful & fine places which are very good to live or survive but its depends on you, which kind of area you like & how much you afford.
    The best place to live in Britain is apparently Stamford in Lincolnshire. Second place was Kendal in Cumbria, third was Wye in Kent and fourth was Thornbury near Bristol.
    There are 10 more places:
    Here are the top ten places in UK:

Hart, Hampshire
    Elmbridge, Surrey
    Wokingham, Berkshire
    East Cambridgeshire
    Brentwood, Essex
    Wychavon, Worcestershire
    St Albans, Hertfordshire
    Maidstone, Kent
    South Cambridgeshire
    Epsom and Ewell, Surrey

5. chaoclive

chaoclive Member

City:
    Beijing at present
    Living In:
    China
    Nationality:
    Irish (IE)
    Languages:
    English, Chinese
    I disagree that the cost of living in the UK is very high. I've been in China for the last 7 years and many things are much cheaper in the UK, including renting a nice place to live (London excluded of course).

Good food, biscuits, tea, toiletries, vitamins and decent clothes are much cheaper in the UK. I stock up when I'm back home every summer. Cars are cheap in the UK too, but obviously, I don't need to bring one back every summer. Oh, don't forget PoundLand!

If you're looking for an area with a reasonably low cost of living in the UK, I'd check out Northern Ireland. Belfast is a convenient, friendly city with very reasonable house prices (both rental and sales).

6. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Yep, exactly as you said: London excluded.
    That is true that food is usually affordable (and with the big competition between supermarkets it is putting the prices down).
    Even for the rest you can often find good deals, just need a bit of research. I bought yesterday an item in Debenhams (department store) displayed £70 reduced £49.50. After checking on the internet, it was the best deal on the market: even Amazon or others were £5-£10 above...
    The crisis and the pound dropping from >1.50 to 1.20 against euro has helped a lot though!

Never been to Poundland...

7. chaoclive

chaoclive Member

City:
    Beijing at present
    Living In:
    China
    Nationality:
    Irish (IE)
    Languages:
    English, Chinese
    PoundLand is super. I discovered it on a trip back to the UK a few summers ago...stocked up on loads of cheap (but normal brand) coffee and chocolate. Lucky that the Chinese customs don't often bother to check what one is carrying into the country haha

8. Nareni1

Nareni1 Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Mexican (MX)
    Languages:
    English, Portuguese, German, Spanish
    I am an expat living in London and am looking into buying a flat as an investment. I don't if someone in the forums can help me , I saw a place in Queens Park in Bravington street and got offered it, so before buying it I want to double check if the zone is safe and nice and a good idea as an investment if it will develop more or not, and the actual value of the property won't grow.

Hopefully you would be able to help me,

Thank you very much in advance!

9. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    As this is about London I moved your other post and left a message in the London Forum: buying-place-queens-park-t45918.html#p92771