Forum Germany

Forum of expats in Germany: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Rules for non-eu spouses

Discussion in 'Germany' started by puzzly, Feb 23, 2012.

1. puzzly

puzzly Member

Living In:
    Tanzania
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, German
    Hi all,
    I am from the UK and my wife is from the Philippines. We have been married 3 years and have a 2 year old daughter who has a British passport. Currently we are living and working in Tanzania – both teachers. This year we plan to travel to Germany to seek work for me as an English teacher. I once worked as an English teacher there before.
    Since she is from a third country state and needs a visa we are unsure of what is exactly the procedure to travel together as a family to Germany. I seem to be reading that all she needs is a family permit card…. is that correct? And if so – how do we get one?
    Please can you confirm?
    David

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Family members of a EU citizen have the right to get a family residence card within the EU. You should get in touch with the consulate or embassy to get more information.
    Countries which are members of the passport-free Schengen area (such as Germany) should deliver visas within 15 days.
    More information here: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/tr ... dex_en.htm

3. puzzly

puzzly Member

Living In:
    Tanzania
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, German
    What visa should my wife be applying for?
    If it is a tourist visa, doesn't that mean that she must leave?

4. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    In theory I assume it should be a residence visa. Anyway, if she enters with a tourist visa she will have to transform it into a residence visa. But the most important to know is that as a family member of a EU citizen, it cannot be refused.

5. puzzly

puzzly Member

Living In:
    Tanzania
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, German
    Thanks for that.
    I asked at the Dutch Foreign Office and they said I needed to get a 'Facilitating Visa' - never heard of it. I am assuming Germany will be the same or something similar.

On another point... After arrival, how long does it take to transform the initial entry visa into a residence visa. I read somewhere 6 months. It could be possible to enter through another EU country, such as the Netherlands, where according to them it seems a straightforward process, and then go to Germany. But would we have to wait 6 months for the transfer in the Netherlands first? And would we have to have an address there?

6. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Entry through another EU country will make the process even more complicated. You will certainly have to get an address (not hotel, a permanent one) to get the appropriate visa. Then you will move to Germany based on that visa... very complicated.
    Better follow the German process, as they cannot refuse right to stay to family of EU citizens.

7. puzzly

puzzly Member

Living In:
    Tanzania
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, German
    Do you know how much money we would have to show in Germany if we were not economically active?

8. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    For more information on German visa and passports, you can have a look at our city guide for expatriation to Germany. For example in the guide on Berlin, you will find information about visa and residence in Germany with links to the official websites.

9. puzzly

puzzly Member

Living In:
    Tanzania
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, German