Forum South Africa

Forum of expats in South Africa: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Polish-South African marriage

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by ScarletBegonia, Jan 4, 2013.

1. ScarletBegonia

ScarletBegonia New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    South African (ZA)
    Languages:
    English, Afrikaans
    Hi everybody,

It reads like a beautiful love story. Boy and girl both ready to give up on true love are introduced by their friend/sister and start chatting online. Several months later and he finds himself in South Africa proposing to the girl he has been dreaming of for years and chatting to for months. BAM! Immigration shit!

So my sister (South African) and my good friend (Polish settled in London) met through me, started chatting, fell in love and after several months he flew to SA to meet her in person along with the rest of the family. After three glorious weeks together, he popped the question, not wanting to board the plane without knowing they'd be together soon.

Since then we have been searching the web for information on what their options are. In the short term they just want to be together asap, in the long term they want to spend us little time and money getting through the process as possible.

So, where is easiest/best for them to get married? What will they need to do this? I'm assuming after marriage she'll need to apply for a EEA family visa in order to stay with him in the UK where he lives and works?

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide.