Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Polish citizenship- passport/confirmation

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by K.Shaw, Nov 16, 2011.

1. K.Shaw

K.Shaw New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Spanish,
    Hi,

I visited the consulate in NY today in the hopes of confirming my Polish citizenship. I was told that confirming my citizenship would be no issue, as I have all the documents necessary. However, I was told that when applying for a Polish birth certificate (and thus a Polish 10yr passport), I would most likely be rejected. This is because citizenship is through my mother, who emigrated to the US when she was a child. Her birth certificate and all Polish documents state her Polish name. Upon arriving to the US, most US documents refer to an anglicized version of her name (marriage certificate, my birth certificate, her US driver's license, passport, etc). However, there is no legal name change document. My mother does not currently have her Polish passport. I would prefer not to have to go through the process of reconfirming her, getting her passport, and then legally changing her name through Polish authorities due to the increased delay in obtaining my passport. Has anyone else come across this issue and know of any other way to do this? I.e., via an American court?

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Polish citizenship is certainly a tricky issue. There is an ongoing conversation on a nother thread of the forums that you may find useful: post68816.html?hilit=polish%20citizenship#p68816.

Best of luck and let us know about the process you go through.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...