Forum Brazil

Forum of expats in Brazil: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Overstaying Tourist Visa & Reentering

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by laurenvita, May 3, 2012.

1. laurenvita

laurenvita New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    portuguese, english
    Hi,
    I entered Brazil on March 4, 2011 and stayed 9months(extended for 3 months & overstayed by 3). I am now ready to return after being out 5months and 1 week. A friend of mine who works for PF asked an immigration officer at the airport when I can return and he said, I have another 90+90days starting March 4,2012, as long as my fine is paid. Will I have any trouble entering???

I have heard so many different things..See below:
    1-Woman from Brazilian consulate in NY - "You can enter one year from your first date, but you will need to convince the officer that you wont stay again"
    2-Another woman from Brazilian consulate - "You have to wait a year to enter"
    3-Every gringo - "You must stay out 180 days"
    4-Guy in Airport Immigration to another officer - "She is allowed entry a year after her first date regardless"
    5-Guy in PF to my Brazilian boyfriend - "She can try to enter a yr after her first date, but there is a chance she wont get in. We count the dates overstayed after the first entry date"
    6-Polish girl who overstayed-"I'm banned for a year"
    7-Woman in consulate in SF to girl who overstayed - "You cant enter for a year"
    8-Guy in PF to gringo - "6months plus the time overstayed"

I trust the info from PF to PF more than anything else, but would like to hear from those who have experienced this situation! Please advise ;)

2. jon7899

jon7899 New Member

Living In:
    Brazil
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, French, Spanish, Portuguese
    Hi laurenvita,

I came across this post while searching something else, but thought it worth sending a reply. The only thing i can be certain of is that every case seems to vary person to person, place to place and depending which "qualified professional" you end up dealing with.

All I can tell you is that, when i went to the PF to extend my visa back in January, they had a simple excel spreadsheet which they used to calculate the visa extension. I've been informed that the same/similar sheet is used to calculate when you are next eligible to enter Brazil again, this being the first date on which you have not been in Brazil for more than 180 days within the past 360. Pretty complicated to work out in your head - maybe just double check the dates (with your own little excel spreadsheet) and see if you're likely to be able to re-enter on your intended date.

Jon