Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Official Documents or Copies

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by cjh234, May 27, 2015.

1. cjh234

cjh234 Member

City:
    Nashville
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Quick question, I understand all documents need to be translated to Polish and submitted with your application for citizenship through ancestry, but do we need to send the actual official documents? For example, we found my grandfathers passport and immigration card when leaving Poland in 1947, can we simply make copies to send or do we need to send the actual paperwork? Do copies need to be certified by the consulate notary?

Thanks!
    -Cjh :)

2. markmarkkram

markmarkkram Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    Hi Cjh,

I am in a similar situation to you. I guess the question is are you submitting via a lawyer in Warsaw or through a consulate elsewhere? I am going through the process and I couriered the original documents to the lawyer in Poland who then translated (what was not in Polish) and 'certified' themselves a copy of them to submit. Lawyers in Poland are allowed to certify copies they make for submittal. They have submitted the copy and are keeping the originals in case the case worker asks to see originals.

I suppose if you do not want to send originals somewhere you should visit the consulate and get them to 'certify' the copies of the originals. They charge about $50 per copy so at the end of it there isn't much money saved when submitting it yourself vs. a lawyer... translations also costs a lot more in North America vs. Poland.

3. cjh234

cjh234 Member

City:
    Nashville
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    I have an attorney searching for documents in Poland now and will probably use him to submit in Warsaw. My uncle recently found several documents my grandfather used to come to the USA in 1947, including a "Fremden Pass" which is in German, as well as a German reparations request document. My uncle will not part with them, so I am hoping high quality color copies can be accepted. Thanks for the reply. My nerves are calmed a bit for now.

4. markmarkkram

markmarkkram Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    Ah. Are these documents critical to your case or are supporting information? Since they are German I do not think they will be documents to base the case on as Poland likely wants some Poland based proof. If they are supporting documents explain to your lawyer in Poland the situatuion and send scans of the documents (higher quality than photocopies). See what they can do. I would try to submit copies and let them ask for originals if it comes to that and it becomes critical. Make your uncle high quality copies and send them certified courier etc. if it comes to it.

So far for me additional supporting documents have not needed to be submitted in original - although I have original documents from Poland submitted to lawyer.

5. cjh234

cjh234 Member

City:
    Nashville
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Thank you! That is exciting news. Most of what we have so far are supporting documents of life outside Poland. Our case is different because my grandfather was born in the US in 1912, but immigrated back to Poland in 1919 with the family. We are searching for documents between 1919 and 1947 which prove he was in Poland and became a citizen, but have not had much luck so far. His FremdenPass actually lists him as American, which worries me, but it was wartime and may have been safer.

We have documents (photos, reparation filings etc) showing him serving in the Polish Army (not sure if that proves citizenship), but we are attempting to get official records from the CAW in Warsaw.

At this point we are hoping our records search in Poland turns up something good on his parents, him and his siblings. Any additional advice is welcome! -CJH

6. gjene

gjene Well-Known Member

City:
    London, Ontario
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English
    You are fortunate in getting copies of your grandfather's military records. When I enquired about the service records for my grandfather from the CAW, they claim they could not find the records.

7. cjh234

cjh234 Member

City:
    Nashville
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    gjene, we have not received them yet from the CAW. I inquired over 6 months ago via email and had one response requesting my address. I have not heard a peep since, despite following up twice. My brother sent the request via mail in Polish about a month ago, so we will see if that helps. If nothing else, we may pay someone to go in to the reading room and take a look.

We have a photo of him in his uniform which a military expert helped us to identify the branch and approximate year of the photo. Other than that, we don't have much. Mixed in with his FremdenPass we found Polish papers from a doctor indicating he was wounded during the war, and we also found a reparations request he sent to Germany in 1950.

Not much to go on sadly. I wish there was one central office where we can verify his parents obtained citizenship or at least ship manifest for those entering Poland. I have found nothing in my search.

8. markmarkkram

markmarkkram Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    Congrats on that bit of information. I do not know for sure but it certainly builds a case that he was in Poland during that time and was legally able to join the army. It doesnt hurt the case as well that he fought for the Polish army. It is also good that it is a Polish issued document as those have more weight than non-Polish ones. You said you had an attorney in Poland helping you - what does the attorney say about this? I think an experienced Polish citizenship attorney would know how useful the document is... You might want to ask another one and see if they are more help?

I recently received my confirmation of citizenship letter. Took three montns from submitting the application to receiving the letter with a letter asking more questions after two months. They did want to know where my relative had traveled to after leaving Poland and what documents they traveled on to reach North America - the documents you mention above that your uncle have may come in handy - they only asked for copies and not the original. I realized as well that in 1947 Poland as the second Polish republic did not exist and no countries honoured their passports to travel on as Poland then became the Peoples Republic of Poland. Old passports and documents still prove citizenship but folks leaving needed temp travel documents - most obtained in Germany - so that also help you I think.

9. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    All,
    Unfortunately, due to a technical problem today, we might have lost cjh234's latest update. :oops:
    If this is the case, I apology, feel free to repost it. :cool:

10. cjh234

cjh234 Member

City:
    Nashville
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi Polcankram. Thanks for the reply. Wow! Only three months for you? Congrats, that is an excellent turn-around time. Can I ask what type of documents you submitted with the initial application?

My brother is the point of contact for our attorney (regrettably so), so I was posting to see what information I could find from others while I wait on him to do his part.

I did find out that at age 21 men were required to serve in the Polish army for at least two years. This is about the age my grandfather would have been, so he must have been confirmed Polish to be able to serve. I wish we had a passport or something else to prove he was in Poland and obtained citizenship. The fact that he was born in the USA still concerns me and that he claimed to be American on his German FremdenPass (maybe since Poland ceased to exist?). The paperwork we have from my Uncle shows that he wrote the US Embassy in Poland to re-claim his American right to citizenship and they confirmed with a letter and passenger ship ticket for him from Gdynia, Poland. He didn't renounce his Polish citizenship, but simply used his American birth right to come to U.S. Must have been a scary time for him.

Here's hoping our attorney is a good one and can make a solid case. He is also looking for records in two cities we provided, so maybe that will turn up something. Will keep the forum updated.

11. markmarkkram

markmarkkram Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    Hi, sorry for the slow reply here - been a busy summer!

Yup it was three months approx. from submittal to the letter. Things have slowly been progressing all summer. So in mid June I received the letter. In mid-July I received the Polish birth certificates. In mid-August I received my PESEL #. The PESEL # now needs to be applied for before applying for a passport. Now just need to apply for the passport at the consulate.

As to your question about documents. I had some fairly certain documents as I had my grandparents short form original birth certificate as well as old 1940's Polish passport. Those were likely quite key for proving of citizenship. Apparently they did a search of the records to confirm that the passport was issued as it said it was. These records are all in Warsaw I have heard. Other then these documents I had the standard birth and marriage certificates and such to prove the link to me.

Have you had any updates since your last post? If you are much more keen on this than your brother maybe you will want to take over for the point of contact for your attorney? Or maybe you could start your own conversation with another? Might be good to get a second opinion. The folks I used here at http://www.polish-citizenship.pl and were quite keen.

12. cjh234

cjh234 Member

City:
    Nashville
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Hello there. No worries on the slow reply. Thank you for getting back to me.

I have had only a small update from our attorney. He let us know that he did not turn up any records on my grandfather in the one city we searched. He is now going to search a second city we provided and possibly a third, as well as the national records in Warsaw. Still hoping for some additional documents to aid our case.

I am also in the process of emailing with your recommended attorney and he seems to think we have a decent case, even though our only proof of my grandfather's citizenship at this point, is that he served in the Polish military. I am waiting to hear back on pricing and his answers to a few questions.

Regarding your certification process to get passports. Is the birth certificate the same as the certification of Polish citizenship or did you have to apply for it separately? Did your attorney help you apply for the PESEL# or how did you obtain it?

Thanks again for the response Polcankram. I look forward to hearing back.

13. markmarkkram

markmarkkram Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    The birth certificate was applied for after the letter of Polish Citizenship Confirmation was received. My ballpark timeline is as follows - couriered the documents to Poland (mid Feb), application submitted to government by lawyer (mid March), received reply from case worker mid May that they were a) looking into the archives to verify 1940's passport was issued and b) Had a question about timing of my grandparent leaving Poland and if they went to any third party countries on the journey. They also had a question asking where my great-grandparents had lived. In reply I just submitted the town I thought it was via email via the lawyer - no documented proof. Lawyer drafted response to the government case worker. In mid June I got word I was accepted and received a letter of confirmation. The next step was to apply for the Polish Birth Certificate - the lawyer did all that for me automatically. I received the Birth Certificates in late July. In Mid August I applied for a PESEL # via regular mail at my closest consulate in North America (the lawyer sent me a pre-filled in application in Polish to my address and all I had to do was verify, date, and sign it. I submitted a copy of one of my birth certificates along with the PESEL application forms). In early Sept I received my PESEL # from the consulate. I now am just waiting for my appointment date with the same North American consulate to have my passport application meeting (the lawyer filled out a completed passport application form in Polish - again all I have to do is verify, date, and sign). To apply for a passport you need the PESEL #, Polish Birth Certificates, and Letter of Confirmation - three different documents.

That's great that he thinks Polish military might be enough. In regards to costs w/ translations and application fees to government I was in the $1000-1500 range if I recall. I think document searching was an additional 200 euros or in that ball park but I never did any of it as I had everything. I did all payments via Paypal to them so it was super simple and quick. It took a couple of weeks to open and transfer money into a Paypal account by linking your bank account... so if you are in a rush and go that route get a head start on it so Paypal can deposit a few cents in your bank account. You then need to tell them how much they deposited as a security feature.

14. gjene

gjene Well-Known Member

City:
    London, Ontario
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English
    While my example is not directly related to your question, it may help. Someone I knew was doing a family tree for someone else and original documents had been sent through the mail. Due to some problems enroute with the post office, the documents had been destroyed accidently.
    Maybe in your case you could have the documents copied. It may cost more, but for peace of mind it may help in case something untoward happens. This way if the copies get misplaced or destroyed then you are not out much and still have the originals. Then you can make more copies.
    While this may not have happened to others, why take chances. You will have to weigh the pros and cons cost wise if you have copies made in order to keep the originals as backup or to send the originals and hope for the best that nothing happens once they leave your possession.