Forum Australia

Forum of expats in Australia: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Need Assistant/Suggestion Moving to Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by taqie, Nov 22, 2012.

1. taqie

taqie New Member

City:
    North Sulawesi
    Living In:
    Indonesia
    Nationality:
    Malaysian (MY)
    Languages:
    English, Indonesian, Bahasa Malaysia
    Hi,

I am a Malaysian whom currently reside in East Indonesia (NORTH SULAWESI). I am a family man and we have decided to move to any part of Australia soon. It is just that until this moment i have not secure any employment yet. Its been a stressful since most of the firm back in Australia require eligibility before working there.

Should I move over there via tourist visa for the first few months and try to secure everything with limited funding in hand ?

Pls PM if anyone can suggest one. TQ

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    If you are looking to move to Australia, the best place to start is with the Guide to Sydney. It includes all the pertinent information about moving to Australia, like the sections on finding work and visas. We also cover some of your options in our post "Obtaining a Visa to Live, Study and Work: Australia". Arriving on a tourist visa and extending may be an option:

I'd also refer you to EasyExpat job listings in Australia. You can also try connecting with other expats through the network (once you have posted a few times to prevent spam) or expat blogs in Australia.

Absolutely best of luck in your move! Let us know what other questions you have and provide information about your move for other expats.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Be careful in trying to get a secure a job with a tourist visa. It is absolutely forbidden in all international immigration rules and you must apply in advance and secure your position before to enter the country with a work visa.

You might be able to look around and make contact while with a tourist visa but in theory you cannot move from a tourist visa to a work visa while in the country.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...