Forum Sweden

Forum of expats in Sweden: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Moving to Stockholm? Will I Be Ok?

Discussion in 'Sweden' started by Orbit, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Orbit

Orbit Member

Living In:
    Poland
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English, Polish
    Hi guys,

i need your advice.

I have received an offer of a job in stockholm with the monthly salary of 44000 sek/month. From what i've seen, stockholm is incredibly expensive and differs greatly form the rest of the country as far as any costs are concerned.

I am planning to move together with my girlfreind, who will not, at least initially, work.
    From what this website told me http://www.ekonomifakta.se/sv/fakta/ska ... din-skatt/,
    i will need to pay 47% of tax !!!! Is that correct??? The we will be left with around 27000 sek/month. How does the system work? Am i being charged with that that tax level from month one? Will i be able to have a life for that amount of money with stockholm prices? And i mean a life where i do not need to think twice about every penny or ore to spend.

What is the total cost of renting a 2 bedroom aparment (>55 m2) within the 1 hour communting range from central stockholm? (incl. Electricty, water, gas, internet, tv.. All that)

how much is an average ok restaurant bill for 2 people?

How much is a basic visit at a vet?

I've been reading in this forum, that people are encouraged to come and live with gross salaries of 30k.

Am i somehow heavily misinformed?

Thanks and take care everyone,
    have a good weekend.

2. happy2bhere

happy2bhere New Member

Living In:
    Sweden
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Svenska
    Hi there,

i moved to sweden from the uk about 3,5 years ago. It was the best decision i ever made. Apart from the long winters (which are great if you like snowboarding, skiing or making snowmen), sweden and especially stockholm is a beautiful place to live and work.

So, ok, advert over. When i moved here i started on a salary of 42 500. And yes, the tax is that much. But the tax you stated is on the last crown you earn - not the whole lot. If it makes you feel any better my last crown is now taxed at over 65%. Get used to it! Looking at another calculator (http://rakna.net/netto-lon.html) you will end up with a little over 30 000 sek/month (depending where you live).

I started out with renting apartment that was less than 30 mins to the city centre by metro and cost me 6500 sek/month in an average area in about the size apartment you are talking about. That included elec, heating, water, etc. Could still afford to do what i wanted to do, save a bit, travel and go out and enjoy myself, all quite happily. If you are looking to do one hour commuting the price could be quite a bit less as you are pretty much outside what most people call stockholm - it's not a big city :)

restaurant average is hard to say. A pizza and beer at the local pizza place will cost about 100 sek. A michelin star meal would be 1500 per head. So, to go out to a medium restaurant (say tapas with a bottle of wine) you're probably talking 300 - 400 per head.

Don't know about vet costs - sorry.

I moved to sweden from london. I reckon i have a better standard of living here than i did there with approx. Same salary. Basically, it works out that food is expensive, alcohol is eye-wateringly expensive and the tax is crazy. On the other side, the tax pays for a lot (clean, safe city with cheap, reliable public transport, etc.), renting/property prices are much lower than london and i get to cycle to work in about 20 mins.

Hope that helps!

3. Orbit

Orbit Member

Living In:
    Poland
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English, Polish
    thanks!

it's really helpful!