Forum Barcelona

Forum of expats in Barcelona: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Moving to Barcelona.

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by chrisstone100, Aug 31, 2009.

1. chrisstone100

chrisstone100 New Member

City:
    Bristol
    I am 24 and have come to the realization that I want to leave in Barcelona. I have been visiting the area since I was 3 years old and have friends out there (Lloret de Mar mainly). However, I have a concern with the practicalities of moving (mostly financial).

I have very little money and am trying to save up. But I have realized that the best way of getting out there is to have a Job. I don't speak Spanish or Catalan, but know by living out there I will pick it up over time- so I know I am limited in what jobs I can get but I have heard that AVIS hire fluent native speakers for their call centre in Barcelona. Can anyone explain how I go about finding a job and applying there? Also an idea of what the salary would be as would be a great help.

As I have a loan to payoff in the UK so I will be looking at a flat share if I do move out there. Does anyone any advice or experience with this?

If anyone else can contact me with their experiences or any advice that would be great as well.

Thanks in advance

Chris

2. TrentBorn

TrentBorn New Member

City:
    Barcelona
    Advice on Housing

If you want, there's a company that I found here in Barcelona called BornLiving (http://www.bornliving.com/). They'll be able to help you find a flat as well as give you advice about jobs, info about the area, stuff to do, places to eat, etc. They also speak English. Hope this helps!

3. emmaemma

emmaemma New Member

chaep apartments barcelona

I live out in there and theres a really good company called where you can find lots of cheap apartments barcelona. its a great website to get to know the city as well

4. mazi star

mazi star New Member

Hey Chris,

I too have had the calling to move to Barcelona, though I have migrated from Australia!

I've come by a couple of accommodation websites that may be helpful: www.easypiso.com and www.loquo.com. This last one in particular is similar to the gumtree website for London, and so has a range of sections including jobs and language skills exchange.

I am new to this process also and don't have that many tips, but as my Spanish skills are still minimal at this time, my strategy was to complete a TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) course, as an entry point into the job market.

Hope this helps.

Mariana

5. laulah

laulah New Member

Living In:
    Spain
    Nationality:
    Finnish (FI)
    Languages:
    Finnish, English, Swedish, Spanish
    Hi!

I hope you make it here, I love living in Barcelona :)

Check this international recruitment agency, they offer jobs in Barcelona and are specialized in the recruitment of non-spanish people. Doesn't matter even if you don't speak Spanish :)

Other good place to start with is Loquo, as mentioned above, but the problem is that it's not very, ehm, controlled so you will find a lot of crap there as well.

Good luck with your job hunt and moving! :)