Forum Germany

Forum of expats in Germany: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Mexican/British Germany Family Member Residence?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by samina, Aug 28, 2012.

1. samina

samina New Member

City:
    Devon
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Mexican (MX)
    Languages:
    English
    Hello everyone,I really hope someone can help me clear a few doubts since I'm a bit confused and desperate to know a bit more about this subject.

Here is my concern:

My wife is a Mexican citizen and I am a UK citizen. We plan to move to Berlin together in November and we have been researching online to find out how she can have permission to live and work in Germany with me as my family member. We are currently staying together in the UK, my wife is staying on a tourist visa which ends in November.

We phoned the German embassy in London and they told us that she could apply for a family reunion visa, which she should get before going to Germany, and then she can apply for the family member residence permit once we arrive. However, our previous research has told us that we can go to Germany without this visa and she can apply for the family member residence permit in the same way. We are confused by all the conflicting information so would like to know:

- Being a Mexican citizen, can my wife enter Germany on a 3 month Schengen visa and then apply for the residence permit once there?
    - If she gets a family member residence permit, does this allow her to work in Germany?
    - Is it required for her to get a family reunion visa before entering Germany if she wants to apply for the residence permit once there?
    - If this is not required, is there any advantage to doing so in any case, e.g. does it speed up the process of getting a family member residence permit or make it easier or more certain once we arrive to Germany?
    - Can she apply for the family member residence permit before entering Germany, e.g. by mail?
    - If we arrive in Germany and my wife has entered on a 3 month Schengen visa and applies for the family member residence permit within that 3 months, is she entitled to remain in Germany while the application for the residence permit is being processed should it take more than 3 months?

Please,I know I'm asking a lot of questions but if anyone knows any of the answers I would appreciate if you can help me clear them out.

Cheers!

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    I'm afraid I can't definitively answer your questions, but I can offer some resources. EasyExpat has a FAQ section with lots of answers to visa questions. We also recently put out an article on "Obtaining a Visa to Live, Study and Work in: Schengen Area". The Guide to Berlin also has a visa in Germany that may be of help. We also just put up an article on our new site, Expat-Quotes, about the EU Blue Card for Germany that could be of help.

Hopefully these resources are of use to you. If anyone else has some tips/information, I am sure that would be appreciated.

I am actually also an expat in Berlin. What brings you to the city? I would point you to the many German expat blogs for info on living here, things to do, and a way to meet some amazing people. I also recommend the expat network to find expats in the city. Sorry I can't answer your visa questions directly, but please feel free to contact me about anything else. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...