Forum USA

Forum of expats in the USA: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Looking for advices

Discussion in 'USA' started by wasitum, Jul 13, 2012.

1. wasitum

wasitum New Member

City:
    Menton
    Living In:
    France
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English
    Good afternoon everyone,

I must admit I never really considered moving out of France until I actually witnessed a few friends doing it, and it's starting to make me wonder : how doable would it be for me to go work in the US ?

As far as leaving my current location is concerned, it's not really an issue, I don't have any strings attached to France. But the real question is, would I be able to find something there ?

I've been an IT technician / manager for the last 6 years, 5 of them in Strasbourg (European capital) and the sixth in Monaco. All I know so far about moving to the US is basically what I could gather from TV and websites (not necessarily the best sources).

So could anyone tell me if it's a project worth looking into for me, or if there is slim to no chance it could work out ? Did anyone go through the same kind of questions ?

Thank you very much

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    It's true that moving to the USA can be difficult in finding a position and obtaining the proper visa authorization. The best place to start is with one of the Expat Guide to the USA, like the Guide to New York City. It helps provide some answers to what it takes to move abroad. In addition, we recently put out an article on "Obtaining a Visa to Live, Study and Work in the United States of America".

You can also check out Job Listings on EasyExpat. I would recommend checking out success stories of expat blogs in the USA (and blogs in french: http://www.blogexpat.com/fr/dir/contine ... u-nord.htm), some of which have been featured in our series of expat Interviews.

Anyone have tips or experiences to share?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. wasitum

wasitum New Member

City:
    Menton
    Living In:
    France
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English
    Thank you for your answer, I'll look into those links.
    However if anyone does have tips or experiences to share, I'm all ears :) (well ... eyes)

4. ywso

ywso New Member

City:
    New York
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    You are right texkourgan.One should consult Expat Guide this will be helpful..