Forum New York City

Forum of expats in New York City: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Live in New York - i'm searching your advises!!!!

Discussion in 'New York City' started by vincenzoschimmenti, Aug 10, 2008.

1. vincenzoschimmenti

vincenzoschimmenti New Member

I'm an italian boy of 28 years old.
    Some month ago, i went in New York on holiday and, from that moment, i fell in love of that city.
    Now, i've a very big doubt: i'd like to live in New York but i don't know if is possible and if it's a good idea. Infact i don't know if is easy.. find a good job, find a home with a good rental price and if the city is liveable e secure.
    Furthermore, i don't speak a perfect english also if i don't think it's a big problem.
    I'm afraid of this eventually choice also because in Italy i've a good job with a goog salary.
    I consider new york a city full of opportunities and this thing fascinates me a lot. I ask you an advice on how to behave. Thank you.
    If you want, you can give me your opinion also by e-mail. Address: vincenzoschimmenti@libero.it.

2. tripton

tripton Member

The city is nice and it is true that its easy income there. But beware I heard the city is full of bedbugs too!

3. tripton

tripton Member

Learning English is not of much problem as you can get guide books to help you. But the difficult part is to get a bug free accomodation.

4. tripton

tripton Member

Learning English is not of much problem as you can get guide books to help you. But the difficult part is to get a bug free accomodation.

5. tripton

tripton Member

Hi,
    Did you find out a way to learn English and also got a bug free accommodation? If you are bitten by bugs try out www.deadbedbug.com for help!

6. tripton

tripton Member

Bedbugs are common in America ,UK. They are found in hotels, apartments,beach. Whatever you do they tend to reappear again. In this circumstance I heard of www.deadbedbugs.com which claims to have products to eradicate them completly. Can it be true? I have asked for the products and am waiting for them to arrive.

7. susano

susano Active Member

City:
    New York City
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English
    Wait wait, not EVERY apt building in NYC has bedbugs. There are places where you are more likely to find them than others but that's why you search and search for an apt.

Vincenzo, I'm not sure if you decided to move to NYC but with the current state of the economy here, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as MANY places are laying off workers (both US and non-US citizens) left and right.

I can offer advice about how to go about finding an apt (I HIGHLY recommend searching craigslist.org and avoid brokers at all costs -- they will slap on a hefty 15% fee just for "finding" you the place), what neighborhoods are good, etc. It's definitely not a cheap city but depending what you are willing to compromise on, you can certainly make it work.

8. wissy

wissy Member

City:
    Paris
  9. PepperEvans

PepperEvans New Member

Why New York?

Just wondering why you picked New York to live in? Why not Washington? Okay, I'll stop. I'm playing favoritism again but in case you plan to move to Wa, I can refer the most reliable moving company in Virginia to assist you.