Forum Milan

Forum of expats in Milan: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Italian driver's license (patente) questions

Discussion in 'Milan' started by chiaraj, Apr 8, 2013.

1. chiaraj

chiaraj New Member

Living In:
    Italy
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Italian
    I am looking for information as to Italian driver's license. I will be living here for at least 2 years, so I will need an Italian license. Unfortunately, my Italian reading skills are not that great, and I have heard that the test is only given in Italian, French, or German. I fear that I would be unable to pass a T/F test in Italian, unless it is very basic Italian...

Are there any driving schools (auto scuola) in Milan or around Milan that cater to people who speak other languages? Is the book that one needs to study available in an English translation?

Does a person who has been driving for 20+ years still need to take driving lessons in order to get the license here? Or can you just take the exams and be done with it?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Hello,

Initially you should be able to drive for a few months with an international driving licence. You can ask for that piece of paper that goes with your driving licence in the US.

It should allow you to improve your Italian for a few months before you take the exam in Italian. In anycase the questions are not very complicated and related to rules for driving.

I don't think that lessons are mandatory assuming that you've got already a permit (although that needs to be double-checked).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...