Forum Cyprus

Forum of expats in Cyprus: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN How to find an apartment in Cyprus

Discussion in 'Cyprus' started by erikevr, Nov 23, 2019.

1. erikevr

erikevr New Member

City:
    limassol
    Living In:
    Cyprus
    Nationality:
    Cypriot (CY)
    Languages:
    english
    Hey guys,

Let me save you some trouble that I got when I relocated back and tried to find an apartment to rent, (which also works for properties to buy). Same trouble that friends of mine had during the same process.

As normal as it sounds, the first thing that I did was to speak to friends and family (yes imagine that I am also Cypriot!!), for any apartment that I can rent out. They all directed me to find an agent.
    Long story short, after speaking to 3-4 agents regarding my search criteria, they all did the same mistake. They all gave me options that either weren't matching my criteria, or the ones that did were outside my budget.

This drew a good 3-4 months, to the point that I eventually rented out a flat that I didnt like with all kinds of problems.

A friend of mine, talked to me about an internet platform (the hizzle .com) and I posted an ad of what I was looking for, anonymously with a price range that I could afford.

Within a week I found my inbox full of offers, so I just liked the ones I wanted to learn more, got in a chat with the sellers and arranged viewings.

Carefree! No hidden costs (not sure about the seller side though).

2. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. erikevr

erikevr New Member

City:
    limassol
    Living In:
    Cyprus
    Nationality:
    Cypriot (CY)
    Languages:
    english
    Hi Cyril, it is a genuine advice yea!

4. Timhh

Timhh Member

City:
    munich
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    english, deutsch
    When renting a house, a contract will be concluded with you, in which all the conditions necessary for you and the landlord will be prescribed. Early termination of the contract is usually punishable by a non-refundable deposit.
    At the entrance to the property, you will be taken a rent (as the contract implies - for 1 month or for the entire rental period at once), as well as a deposit that usually covers possible expenses from property damage, goes to pay electricity and water bills or is used as a fine for early termination of the contract. Usually a deposit is equal to one monthly annuity payment.
    If you rent a house for a long time, you will be required to transfer electricity and water bills to your name.

[MOD: Link removed]