Forum Belgium

Forum of expats in Belgium: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Expat Meet-ups in Belgium

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by texkourgan, Jul 4, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Hello expats!

One of the most difficult things about being an expat in Belgium is making new friends. That is one reason why the forum and the EasyExpat site are so useful, but maybe you would like to meet new people in person. On this thread, we would like to encourage you to arrange a meet-up in Belgium .

An expat meet-up can be a big group gathering, a brunch, getting a coffee, a language exchange, or a sports activity. What do you like to do for fun? Are you looking for a group to join or want to organize a gathering in Belgium ?

We would be happy to help facilitate a meet-up, or support expats organizing a gathering using our social networks: Twitter, Facebook, Google+ & LinkedIn. Have something you would like to plan? Let us know here!

Check out past gatherings like in Dubai, Milan, or in London

We look forward to hearing about your meet-ups and expat connections. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. EBP

EBP Member

City:
    Brussels - Woluwe Saint Pierre
    Living In:
    Belgium
    Nationality:
    Belgian (BE)
    Languages:
    Dutch, English, French
    expat meetup

Hey Everybody,

My name is Lorin and I'm a Belgian born in Flanders but living in Brussels. If somebody needs help to rent a place or have questions about living in Belgium or just wants to visit some nice places like cities or museums, please let me know something.

Even I'm not an expat, I met already a lot of expat people and it was always a very interesting contact!!! The downside is that a lot of them left Belgium already for various reasons but that's part of the life of an expat :(

BTW, there is a new museum in Antwerp, the "red star museum". The New York times wrote a very positive article about it so it's worth the effort!

regards

Lorin

3. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Re: expat meetup

Hi EBP,

Thanks a lot for the offer. You should also put a photo in your profile, it will enhance your messages :)

As about help, maybe you can give some tips and share your experience on our series of new topics in the Belgium forum for expatriates:
    :arrow: The Best Areas to Live in Belgium
    :arrow: Finding Accommodation in Belgium
    :arrow: Childcare in Belgium
    :arrow: Going Out and Meeting People in Belgium
    :arrow: Healthcare: Medical Treatment in Belgium
    :arrow: Taxes in Belgium
    :arrow: etc.

And same thing about Brussels in the forum :arrow: HERE :)
    Many thanks in advance :thumbup:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. EBP

EBP Member

City:
    Brussels - Woluwe Saint Pierre
    Living In:
    Belgium
    Nationality:
    Belgian (BE)
    Languages:
    Dutch, English, French
    Dear Texkourgan,

It's true that it's not easy to make new friends but the most important thing for me is that you do an effort to meet people.

The reality is that sometimes meeting somebody in real life feels like dating. So the most difficult thing is too make clear to people that this is NOT a dating site!!!! I believe that loneliness is a real problem when you are an expat. It took a lot of time and a lot of patience because not everybody on the internet is there with good intentions, but I succeeded several times to meet people in real life so I know that it's a real problem.

We did always some nice things like going to a museum, cinema or I went even with somebody to Paris for a weekend. So they met me first and after that I introduced them to my friends so we are all in kind of social network but a network in real life and not a virtual one. That's the only way (I think) to integrate yourself in a city like Brussels.

So my advice: stop thinking in term like "dating with somebody"; and be a little bit naive and stop thinking that no one can be trusted. -:)

regards

Lorin