Forum Canada

Forum of expats in Canada: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Electrical appliances UK -> Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hendar23, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Hendar23

Hendar23 New Member

I'll soon be moving from the UK to Canada...can anyone tell me what kind of power convertor I will need to use my electrical stuff over there? I know plug convertors are easily avalible but I understand I'll need something to transform the voltage and frequency?

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    You just need to buy a convertor that will allow you to put your English pug into the Canadian socket. You just need 1 convertor for each plug you want to use at the same time, not more.

3. Hendar23

Hendar23 New Member

thank you but the voltage is 240 in UK and 120 in Canada - so there will be some appliances like computers that won't be getting enough voltage. anyone bought converters for canada?

4. polskasweetie

polskasweetie Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English, Tagalog, bit of Polish
    You need to buy a transformer (to change the voltage from 240 to 100-120V), and an adapter, as UK plugs have a 3 prong, and I think Canada, like the US, only have typically 2 prong flat parallel, though some high voltage appliances like computers and monitors have 3 prong (2 prong flat parallel and 1 ground round prong).

You're better off buying those devices in Canada, as it will be alot cheaper than getting them here in the UK. I found that out the hard way!

5. elisaxaviers

elisaxaviers New Member

City:
    newyork
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    english
    According to me you need buy converter which allow you to plug your electronic stuffs. You can get the converter easily in the Canadian market.