Forum Immigration USA

Forum of expats in the Immigration USA: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Education Question: UK Man Marrying US Woman & Living In USA

Discussion in 'Immigration USA' started by jcooper25, Nov 26, 2009.

1. jcooper25

jcooper25 New Member

Hey there, I'm really hoping someone will be able to give me some advice on this.

Basically I'm looking to marry my American fiancee, I think I understand the process that we need to go through for this, but my question is regarding university.

I've read that there are international fees for foreign students in America, and these are often substantially more (4 x the amount in some cases). As I would be on a 2 year temporary citizenship visa, would I be eligible for the "home" university fees, or the "international" university fees?

Also, if I'm down for international rates, how long would be be until I am eligible for the home rate? Someone told me one year, but that doesnt make sense with the 2 year temporary visa.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks.

- JC

2. alphazip

alphazip Well-Known Member

City:
    Chicago
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    JC, you didn't mention which university you're considering and each university sets its own fees. Picking one at random...the University of Michigan...I see that they have in-state rates (for residents of Michigan) and out-of-state rates for everyone else. Certain criteria are listed here (http://ro.umich.edu/resreg.php), and because you do not have a right to reside in the United States permanently, you would fall into the out-of-state category during the entire course of your studies. In most states there are "state" universities that receive taxpayer support and "private" universities (e.g. Harvard) that do not. State universities usually charge less, but often favor residents of their states. You might also want to look into "community" colleges, which charge much less than universities, but usually only teach the first two years of a normal four-year university degree. (Check to see if they're accredited, so you can later transfer your credits to a university.) My suggestion would be to Google the name of the university you're considering attending and the word "fees" and see what you find. That's how I located the U of M page on residency I mentioned above.

3. jcooper25

jcooper25 New Member

First of all, thank you so much for your reply!

I'd be going to Springfield, Missouri, I've already researched the universities there, but that was solid advice.

Just, I'd have already been married to an American for one year by the time I start university there...wouldnt I only be classed as out of state for the one year that I'm on a 2 year probation period? Or because I started the course on that probation thing, would I be considered out of state the whole time through my course? Or because I wasn't born in that state will I never be considered "in-state"?

So many questions! I'm sorry!

4. alphazip

City:
    Chicago
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    OK, so I looked at the policy for the University of Missouri in Springfield. The same as the University of Michigan, they have a resident (of the state) rate and a non-resident rate. To receive the resident rate, you have to show that your domicile is in Missouri. The policy states that attending university in Missouri does not in itself qualify you for the resident rate, even after you have been in the state attending school for one year or more. (See: http://www.missouristate.edu/assets/Adm ... OM_NON.doc) However, you can claim Missouri residency based on being married to a Missouri resident (your wife), but she would have to have been living in Missouri for a year before you are admitted. If your wife has been in the UK with you for a long time, then she ceased to have Missouri domicile and would not qualify you for the residency rate. If, on the other hand, she is still a Missouri resident (has been filing Missouri taxes as such, etc.), then here is the form you can complete to claim the resident rate: http://www.missouristate.edu/assets/adm ... istate.pdf If you want the in-state rate, it might be best to reside in Missouri for a year before you apply as a student. However, the school does say live AND WORK, so I'm not sure if you would have to be employed in Missouri for a year for them to accept that you're really a Missouri resident. If you and your wife file a joint Missouri income tax return (before applying for admission), I would think that would satisfy them. For more info, they say to contact Nancy Myers at 417-836-5632.

5. alphazip

City:
    Chicago
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    A bit more on the subject: I was re-reading the form to apply for resident-fee status and it specifically asks if you're a citizen or permanent resident. If you say no, it's probably unlikely that the school would accept that you have established Missouri as your permanent domicile, because you could not legally do so. Of course, you could call and explain that you are being admitted to the U.S. provisionally based on your marriage and will eventually be a permanent resident, and perhaps they will make an exception. I think your main question, though, was...would you eventually (after, say, one year) become a resident based on being in the state attending school, and the answer is no.