Forum Scotland

Forum of expats in Scotland: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Edinburgh or Dundee?

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by akhatan, Nov 20, 2011.

1. akhatan

akhatan New Member

Living In:
    Belgium
    Nationality:
    Belgian (BE)
    Languages:
    français, nederlands, english
    Hi there. My name is Natacha. I’m currently living in Belgium.
    I’m new to this forum and I need some advice before moving to Scotland.
    I will move to Scotland in April 2012 but I have not decided yet whether to move to Edinburgh or Dundee. It will depend on the following factors:
    -Social contact: how easy is it to meet people;
    -Both nature (I love walking) and cultural life nearby (I enjoy museum, architecture, exhibitions…);
    -Job opportunities : I speak English, French and Dutch fluently and have good notions of Italian and German; I have work experience in customer care and support (I have experience in giving training, coaching; I’m currently working for a railway engineering company where I give organizational support and consolidate information to assure their reporting). It doesn’t necessarily have to be that kind of job; I want to know if I have any chance to get a job with my profile.
    -Affordable accommodations, preferably not far from the city centre and under 500 GBP PM; I wouldn’t mind sharing the flat
    Can you give me some advice on this ?
    Thanks a lot

2. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    Job prospects would be better in Edinburgh I believe since its a bigger city and its a beautiful place too. Cold and very windy though ! Never been to Dundee so can't say but I believe with your profile, you shouldn't have a problem to find work.

Good luck !

3. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Dundee is a smaller town. Edinburgh is not only one of the two biggest cities (with Glasgow) in Scotland but it is also the administrative capital. It is a bit like comparing Dijon to Lyon for example. Dundee is a nice city (went there several time) and has got a student life too (though much smaller) but does not have the charm of Edinburgh.
    Downside is that Edinburgh is an expensive city to live in.