Forum USA

Forum of expats in the USA: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Cost of living in New Jersey

Discussion in 'USA' started by Globalmover, May 17, 2012.

1. Globalmover

Globalmover New Member

City:
    Woking
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English, German
    Hello,
    I am discussing a move to New Jersey with an employer. I currently live in Surrey in the UK and am wondering how living costs compare between these two. I'd be grateful for any insights as it will help greatly with salary negotiations (i will not be on an expat package with paid accommodation, schooling etc).
    Thanks a lot in advance

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    The Expat Guide to New York is a good place to start in evaluating a move to the USA. Obviously, NYC is more expensive than New Jersey, but tools like Glassdoor can help you evaluate salary & costs. You should also try connecting with expats in the area through the expat network & expat blogs.

Anyone in the area have advice?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Globalmover

Globalmover New Member

City:
    Woking
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English, German
    Thanks very much for that!

4. ExpatAussieInNJ

ExpatAussieInNJ New Member

City:
    Montclair, NJ
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Australian (AU)
    Languages:
    English
    I Live in Montclair NJ and have been here for last 2 1/2 years, after living in Australia previously. I can only compare with Sydney, rather than Surrey but at least this may be a guide:
    1. Food, clothing, books, music and other merchandise are a lot less expensive
    2. Accomodation can be relatively more expensive, depending on the area you choose. Living in Montclair, this is an expensive area to rent due to higher property taxes that owners have to pay to the local township. Not all areas are as bad.
    3. car prices are a bit lower, although repairs labor etc is just the same.
    4. Petrol/gas is way cheaper than Sydney but insurance is higher.
    5. Utility costs e.g. elecrticity/gas are possibly cheaper perunit used but will vary depending on area you need to heat during winter when it is very cold. Large spaces cost a fair amount to heat.
    Overall, we find it similar in cost of living to Australia although perhaps a bit less expensive.

When are you thinking of coming?

5. Jersey Bean

Jersey Bean New Member

City:
    Perth
    Living In:
    Australia
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi

Lucky you to have an offer of employment in NJ!!

I was in NJ over Christmas and New Year just gone staying with a family I know, and compared to Perth Western Australia I found it great value for money. Actually Perth is hugely expensive now, almost out of control.

I cannot speak for utilities etc, but I have done some research and generally I feel that the value for money is better in the USA, assuming you are employed though. Property was cheaper, as were cars,fuel, clothes, and many other day-to-day items. Eating out can be expensive to, especially with the USA tipping regime.

My only concerns are the cost of property tax and health insurance.

If you have money behind you then this would make the move easier as your debt in NJ would be less. You can buy decent homes from 200K.

One reason alone would make me want to move to the USA and that is the great customer service, which is sorely lacking in Australia now. Obviously the USA has greater choice.

If I can secure sponsored employment I would choose to live in Morristown, actually anywhere on the train line from Hackettstown to Hoboken would be great.

I hope this helps in some way and best of luck :)

6. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    I never thought I would wax poetic about customer service, but in Berlin service is terrible and I miss the god 'ole USA for that. Apparently I am not alone as other American expats frequently complain that they miss it too in our series of Expat Interviews.

Good point on health insurance though. I do not miss the high health insurance costs! My husband is diabetic and paid more for supplies in the US with insurance than in Germany with only very basic coverage. Absolutely mad.

Good luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Why do you say that? :eek: