Forum Australia

Forum of expats in Australia: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Converting motorcycle licence in NSW

Discussion in 'Australia' started by nhs84, Feb 23, 2021.

1. nhs84

nhs84 New Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    I currently have a NSW Car & Rider licence (R) with a condition (A – A037) that was converted from a UK A1 licence.
    I would like to find out the process to upgrade this to a full, unrestricted NSW motorcycle licence.
    Would I need P plates for a period of time?
    Does anyone have any info please? ServiceNSW said to check with HARP and StayUpright driving schools but they came back and said to check with ServiceNSW?!

Also, my flatmate has a full motorcycle licence issued by Namibia. Can he simply convert his into a full licence? Is Namibia recognised or does he need to sit the theory test and/or practical?
    Would he need P plates for a period of time?

2. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Ah ah typical!

The particularity in Australia is that each Australian State issues their own Driver Licences.
    I found some information about NSW here: https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/licence/visiting-moving/interstate-licence.html
    You said that you have a licence condition A037 ('Auto motor bike only not exceed 125ml eng cap') therefore to be eligible to have the condition removed, you must satisfactorily complete a pre provisional rider training course.
    Apparently there is also a rule on age (If you are over 30 you can go to an unrestricted licence and ride anything on two wheels) but you better double check.

For you friend, I found a full guide to which countries’ licences are recognised in Australia: https://austroads.com.au/drivers-and-vehicles/overseas-drivers/applying-for-a-license
    But Namibia is not within the list unfortunately.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...